Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to culexor
Default Got my license!

I finally got my license yesterday! I'm about 8 months overdue, considering I got my Permit a month after I turned 16 (minimum age to get your permit is 15 in Missouri). Then I had to wait 6 months after getting my permit in order to get my license. Anyways, the test went pretty well. The lady who was observing me (or whatever you want to call it), was very pleasant and seemed to be in a good mood. I had to drive on mostly back roads, and then I had to do things like park on a hill, stop and back up in the middle of a street (I was like "what?" when she told me to do it), and show her that I knew where everything was in the car (blinkers, high-beams, low-beams, defroster, etc.) Then I had to parallel park, the part that everybody dreads most. The first time around, I ended up too far from the curb (about a foot lol) but the second time I nailed it. She didn't tell me how I scored, but she just said I passed. Well I told a friend of mine (he's a few years older than I am), and now he wants to sell me his car (I think it's really cool, it's a '98 VW GTI Lowerd, etc.) for $3000 ($3500-4000 with the supercharger he put in it, which I decided against). I'm really considering it, since that's the type of car I want and I know the car well (he gave me rides to school every day last year), and its cheaper than all the other places I've looked (vwvortex, thesamba, craigslist, etc.). Anyways, that's another story I thought I'd share with everyone.

Laptop: i5 430M 2.26Ghz, 4GB DDR3 1066, 500GB WD Blue, Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1GB (discrete)
culexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: Got my license!

Nice, congrats! I remember the feeling I got when I first got my drivers license some 13 or so years ago....lol

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Haha, thanks. I walked out of the DMV with the biggest smirk on my face lol. It's nice to be able to drive myself around (if my mom isn't using the car, of course).

Laptop: i5 430M 2.26Ghz, 4GB DDR3 1066, 500GB WD Blue, Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1GB (discrete)
Old 04-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio101 View Post
Haha, thanks. I walked out of the DMV with the biggest smirk on my face lol. It's nice to be able to drive myself around (if my mom isn't using the car, of course).
Oh yeah, you're on a high for a while. I was so excited the first time I drove somewhere by myself.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
Oh yeah, you're on a high for a while. I was so excited the first time I drove somewhere by myself.
Haha yeah, I drove myself to get a shaved ice last night lol, I'll remember that forever considering the place I go has the BEST shaved ice ever (yes, there's a difference between shaved ice and a snow cone).

Old 04-22-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken

Sounds like fun.

I'm probably gonna be stuck taking the test in my mom's minivan... not bad, except its a really tight car and sometimes I accidentally gun it from a stop because I'm used to driving our truck. And then my sister's car is so loose you can literally turn the wheel 20 in either direction while going straight. And the throttle and brakes are really loose. In fact, I almost bottomed out the master cylinder trying to slow down on a big up hill to railroad tracks.

But parallel parking with the truck (in Ohio we do a maneuverability test which is parallel parking without cars there) is a PITA.. espeically beacuse it is about 2' longer than the minivans.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #7
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

Congratulations!
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #8
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber314Chicken View Post
Sounds like fun.

I'm probably gonna be stuck taking the test in my mom's minivan... not bad, except its a really tight car and sometimes I accidentally gun it from a stop because I'm used to driving our truck. And then my sister's car is so loose you can literally turn the wheel 20 in either direction while going straight. And the throttle and brakes are really loose. In fact, I almost bottomed out the master cylinder trying to slow down on a big up hill to railroad tracks.

But parallel parking with the truck (in Ohio we do a maneuverability test which is parallel parking without cars there) is a PITA.. espeically beacuse it is about 2' longer than the minivans.
Just practice more in the minivan. I took my road test in one, it's not bad once you're used to it.

Anyway, congrats!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #9
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber314Chicken View Post
Sounds like fun.

Yeah, I can't parallel park in my mom's minivan, but my dad's Volvo S60 is super easy to maneuver....and yes, the spot they give you to parallel park (they use cones, not cars) is massive in the Volvo, but the Van would be a tight fit.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

I'm getting off the road....

Just kidding! Congratulations, man.

2.13Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-2GB DDR2 800 Mhz-500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue- Nvidia 9400M
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote