Got a degree, where to now

iffy

In Runtime
Wonder if experienced members in the computing field can help me out.
Im in a little dilemma just now. I have studied to degree level in computer science and now I would like to know which direction to take. I have applied MANY computing posts and unfortunately I have had no success at all. Now this makes me think that it's time to enhance my qualifications. So the question are:

1. Should I go back to Uni and study on to masters level
  2. Should I study a qualification of some sort
  3. Should I just completely change ways and maybe do law or something else

The other thing I want to add as a factor is that Im almost 28 years of age and I dont wanna spend heaps of time in education. Hense why if the computing field is dry, I would as a last resort turn to Law. Probably studying the qualification on an open uni basis.

From my experience, in the computer field you need to build up some work related experience to go along with your degree. You need to find some kind of computer place that will expect you with no experience so that you can then include that on a resume. That's how I got to the job I'm at now. My degree is only a 2 year technicall degree so you are already ahead of me.

I applied for this job my first year out of college and wasn't even considered. Worked at a small, local computer store for a year. Reapplied for this job and got hired in.

that seems to be seriously hard just now. So basically voluntary work. But the other thing is I done want to be earning a decent wage. Obviously not over night, but how quickly can I get to that stage.

I'm still in school... so I'm probably not qualified to give you any advice what-so-ever...

However, we are often told that having a degree doesn't automatically mean that you will get a job. Based on what I have been told (rather than personal experience), you should probably try and gain some kind of experience, even if it is "below" what it is you have trained to do, just so that you can say that you have some experience in the field on your CV.

Being able to say that you have had a job which is related to what it is you have got your degree in (I.E. hands on experience) greatly increases your employability.

that seems to be seriously hard just now. So basically voluntary work. But the other thing is I done want to be earning a decent wage. Obviously not over night, but how quickly can I get to that stage.

My first job was for $10 an hour. Now I make around $47K/year. (Depending on where you live and your standard of living, that may or may not seem like a lot - but it allows me to live very comfortably.)

Maybe go into a computer related law field such as software copyright or patent law...

My first job was for $10 an hour. Now I make around $47K/year. (Depending on where you live and your standard of living, that may or may not seem like a lot - but it allows me to live very comfortably.)
i agree with this, get a job just to get experience, then after about a year try to get a better job. Also try to focus in a certain area of IT such as exchange.

I got a degree with computer informations/forensics. Jobs are not easy to come by in this field. Once your in your set for life unless something major happens within a companies department and needing new person.

This is one reason i do computers as a side project now and do snake breeding full time to pay back college loans till something opens up.

it's a difficult one.

I'm assuming from your post that you're in the UK. and sadly (from what I can see) the entry level positions are drying up. in favour of employing cheap overseas labour.
even big companies now are outsourcing their IT departments to managed service companies, who have a few handfuls of people based in the UK to do the job hands on, but a lot of staff overseas being paid peanuts (compared to similar level UK staff) to do anything that doesn't require an on-site presence.

There just aren't people employing help desk staff and training them to the higher echelons any more. -i mean there are still companies doing this, just far less than there once was.

you talk about studying to a masters level, the last guy our company employed has a degree in network engineering and a masters degree in computer forensics, he's our data centre guy, spends his days racking servers.

basically, a masters might not actually get you any further people are looking for experienced people.

you could try studying for an MCITP to get yourself better acquainted with Microsoft products and that might give you a bit of an edge.

The best advice that I feel I could give is keep applying, and don't be afraid to either commute or re-locate.
Also try hitting companies up that just can't outsource overseas, colleges and universities, small companies that need internal IT guys.

Back
Top Bottom