Google and Verizon

Rakuma

In Runtime
So I don't know if you guys have heard about the discussions that verizon and google were having about what amounts too a two tier system of internet. But I feel its an interesting discussion.

I think that we, as the typical consumer, need to find a way to call out businesses when they attempt to deal in these under handed practices. Unfortunately with the power of huge corps we are left in a place that we don't hold much power in boycotting said practices. Many people say if you don't like something don't boy it or use it. The problem is its impossible to avoid situations such as these. I live in an area where my choises of high speed are slow poorly seviced dsl or over priced cable. Sure there are choices like satalite based internet but that is as expensive as cable, if not more and bearly keeps up with dsl.

This brings me to the point of choices. The idealogy of "if you don't like it don't use it" doesn't work in this situation. We live in a world where high speed internet is almost a necessity for any sort of job or profession that isn't food service or bagging groceries. Now power players like Google and Verizon are looking to tier the performance of their services to gouge money out of people and sites to be added to the "fast lane."

The best way I can think to discribe this is like saying " well you can get the slow trash service that only picks up trash every third week but only if you have less than X amount of trash. Or pick the fast service that picks up trash every week but cost more."

This is just a start of discussion that I think is important to have. The analogy make sense in my head hope it make sense to you.

I find it ridiculous that the FTC failed to do anything about it, they were trying to stop the talks for a bit but then backed down which proves that the real government is real corporations. I dont really see how a tiered internet system can be made though. The only reason that sites may want to pay google is to be higher on search results otherwise google is dependant on them which means that they could all delist from google and guess who'd be screwed.

.Google sits in a place of power seeing as it holds like 60% of the search engine market. And that might be a low ball. And basically what would happen is google and verizon would collaberate on a list of ip adresses that would be allowed to use higher bandwidths. They constantly talk about how regulation is the downfall of business and the business should be protected. My question is when do the consumers get some protection.

Back
Top Bottom