Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-28-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to tom-knox
Arrow Google turns the lights out... So should we

With reference to the aptly named 'Earth Hour' Google have turned their lights out and are asking us to do the same, in an attempt to show that we can all do quite well without lights and in the long term reduce energy consumption. Tonight (29th March) people in the UK will be asked to turn their lights off at 8PM. I have signed up to do so and so have many big companies/organisations. Why don't you???

In reference to Google's new black theme, i think its quite sexy, any chance they'd keep it, or make it an optional so it can be achieved without Shift+Alt+Print-Screen.
Maybe....

_ _ _ _
From Tom
- - - - -

PS. Sign up for Earth Hour at www.earthhour.org, at the moment the site is a tad laggy, i should imagine because all the geeks like me still on their PCs at midnight coming back to Google every 20 mins have just noticed it and are searching frantically, and posting on their own forums, thought id do the same.

_

New player: iPhone 4 32gb
tom-knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
Bogan

Send a message via MSN to Neodude112320
Default Re: Google turns the lights out... So should we

And For Australians,Earth Hour is Tonight Aswell at 8PM

http://www.earthhour.org/

Old 03-28-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neodude112320 View Post
And For Australians,Earth Hour is Tonight Aswell at 8PM

http://www.earthhour.org/
I will turn out all the lights as long as I can have th tv on to watch the footy tonight.
Piss off George Monks = gmcrepair? YES, YES it was.
Yeah he likes to boost his count.
T-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:08 AM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

Interesting

I can't see it happening on streets, etc mind you, since if that happens, with cars... we'll be seeing a lot more lights going out than they intend, haha
Old 03-29-2008, 06:12 AM   #5
Site Team

Well all try and do our bit with things like this and then the EU tells us we must drive our cars with our headlights on full in the middle of summer so we can 'see better'. That makes no sense to me at all
Old 03-29-2008, 07:00 AM   #6
Bogan

Send a message via MSN to Neodude112320

Well,Earth hour has come and gone,me and some friends went for a walk during earth hour and quite a few lights were out.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to tom-knox

I was going to ask David if he could possibly implement a black theme as well, but i think it might be too late in the day to do that. No worries. The EU's policy on headlights is ridiculous, how much energy is wasted by driving about full blaze, its ludicrous. I reckon turning off street lights could lead to alot of crime, Muggings ETC. But their are solution to save money the government could put in place, like switching the street lamps to more efficient florescent bulbs, This would lower the amount of energy used to power them and help the environment out.

But unfortunately many EU countries are having to put up with the massive amounts of wasted energy coming from America and China. Both the countries energy output extends far beyond reason. China is in the middle of a revolution (in essence) and so it is slightly more understandable (although not entirely acceptable), but the USA appears plain ignorant.

You don't NEED an 'SUV' if you live in the suburbs.
You don't NEED a 4x4 to do the shopping or pick the kids up from school.
and You don't NEED a car to make a trip of a mile to get to work, thats what public transport is for, or walk/cycle.

But when was the last time American government listened to reason? Think Afaghanistan, Think Iraq, and now think climate change. America isn't that bad, alot of good has come form America in technology and culture, but the government make Americans seem a tad daft. Mr.Bush should take some charge and help his countries reputation out a little. But I'd wager that is very unlikely, USA are busy thinking they own the world and trying to help everyone one out by blowing stuff up. Why does the rest of the world base most every decision on a country with so little heritage and so little sense.

I could rant on all day , but i dont see the point. I doubt the white house would listen. I understand that this post might make me unfavourable by the American users of the forum, but i am simply expressing my beliefs and you are free to agree or disagree, this is just my opinion.

New player: iPhone 4 32gb
tom-knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken

I'm in.

And I agree about the whole SUV in the suburbs thing. their milage is horrible and you should only get one if you actually drive on something other than a paved road on a regular basis.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #9
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to Trivium Nate

Very rarely do i use the lights in my room anyways...
Trivium Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lindon View Post
Well all try and do our bit with things like this and then the EU tells us we must drive our cars with our headlights on full in the middle of summer so we can 'see better'. That makes no sense to me at all
The alternator in cars is constantly going, so having your headlights on full does not affect how much gas you use.

And yes, it's A LOT easier to see an incoming car if they have their headlights on.

DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote