Google games console?

berry120

Fully Optimized
No, sorry - it's not happening. I was just thinking of the idea, and, well think it would be quite cool!

Being Google they'd do it properly, it'd look cool and probably tie in to give you access to all your Googledocs, email and suchlike on the fly. I reckon it'd also have a really nice, sleek interface that's coded very nicely under the hood and runs fast and efficiently. But the biggest thing is - knowing Google it'd be an open platform! So no need for chipping any of the things, mucking around with flashing firmware - you could essentially do what you like with it. And because of the open source nature it encourages, chances are there would be lots of free games to pick from online as well as the various paid ones.

Hey, it's probably never going to happen - but I thought I'd throw it out there! We've got open mp3 players, phones and PCs now and have had them for a long while. Why not an open games console? :)

Well to be honest if Google did start a gaming console if you ask me they would be better off joining up with Apple (rummer is that the console will be out this year). Then on the online part have like a Google account management along with the servers and such.

Mac aren't massively active supporters of the open movement though. I agree google would do something cool with a games console but i can't see them going for it because the mass market is too oligopolistic, commercially it wouldn't be all that amazing a venture, remember that developing games consoles, engines and setups is BIG BUCKS on the start up

The Google Console will feature ads everytime you have to wait for respawn!

But you won't have to pay to play online.

I know there's open source consoles out there already - this was more the thought that Google has the resources behind it to drive them to the mainstream! I've always been a bit weary of just hacking open PS3s, XBoxes and the like - personally I'd much prefer to have something open to start with.

I agree there's various practical reasons why it won't happen. It was more of a musing than a serious suggestion!

Back
Top Bottom