Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-09-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default Good Opportunity

Alright well for a school trip my girlfriend is going to china during winter break in February. So I figured, hey stuff is much cheaper in china so I can get a real bargain! Well, I was going to give her like $100-$150 to go get me some cool electronic but if i were to get something like a camera obvious the preset language would be non other than chinese. so without me knowing how to read chinese and find my way to the english language preset on the electronic how would i be able to do this?

Is there a way i flash the BIOS on anything?

Ronco Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to BrynF_UK
Default Re: Good Opportunity

erm...they dont really have a "bios" and even if they did have something similar i really doubt you could flash it in any way, but you could just search google (because we all know how helpful it is) for an english version of the manual?

Visit today! ---> www.smouch.net/lol <---

Old 01-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
j03
~~~~~~~~

Send a message via MSN to j03

It would be the firmware you'd need to flash. Ad it depends on the device
j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

You may be lucky, since a lot of devices are shipped the same, but with the default language set to the standard for the country its going to, which may mean, with some devices, the English language version is in it somewhere too.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

yeah i know that there is always an english setting its just going to be near impossible finding the setting. but i guess i can always find the english manual for the thing and switch it...hopefully
Old 01-09-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x

You also have to get the right thing... China has no laws against making exact copies and all, and the copies are everywhere, and they are crap. Check out youtube for fake psps and ds'
Old 01-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #7
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman22x View Post
You also have to get the right thing... China has no laws against making exact copies and all, and the copies are everywhere, and they are crap. Check out youtube for fake psps and ds'
Those are hilarious. There is also a copy of the Wii called the Vii, with such glorious games as "Happy Tennis" and "Alacrity Golf".

I would avoid China for electronics, to be quite honest, unless you are in Hong Kong. Even then, there are no guarantees as most electronics there are either stolen, imported from Japan and sold for profit or just plain fake. If you can island-hop to Japan you are much safer in my opinion.
AllThingsSacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThingsSacred View Post
Those are hilarious. There is also a copy of the Wii called the Vii, with such glorious games as "Happy Tennis" and "Alacrity Golf".

I would avoid China for electronics, to be quite honest, unless you are in Hong Kong. Even then, there are no guarantees as most electronics there are either stolen, imported from Japan and sold for profit or just plain fake. If you can island-hop to Japan you are much safer in my opinion.
There wouldn't be a point in buying stuff from another country if the country you bought it from was Japan, the expenses involved in staying there for more than a few days are ridiculous if you plan on staying in any of the industrialized areas. I would say any of the SEZ in China would be okay in terms of reliability and authenticity. I know my friend recently went there over his winter break and bought an 8800GT for like 180-190 dollars. Working flawlessly.
| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:52 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

no i'll be sure to tell her not to get me the copy cats but she wants to get a wii so hopefully they're cheaper over there.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:57 PM   #10
BSOD

Send a message via MSN to Rudster816

i would just pay the american price and get better support, just in case. its not like your going to be able to return it if something happens to it.

one shortcut you shouldnt take is in consumer electronics, because you WILL get screwed over some time or another

Rudster816 is offline   Reply With Quote