The good old days?

wonderboy1953

In Runtime
A few years ago, a new 500GB drive just came out going for $500 at the time.

Now you can get a 3TB (USB 3.0 external) drive for $150. How the times have changed.

my first ever hard-drive was 100mb. I now own a 16gig usb drive :)

I don't recall 500GB ever going for $500... $200 yes but not $500.

My first computer (that wasn't owned by my family) was an 80GB and I thought I'd never fill it...

Kids...
Inmyday.gif

I was an honest-to-God hard drive mechanic, back 'in the day'. I would replace 18" hard disk platters, read/write heads, perform head alignments, etc. on HP7906 dual-platter hard drives. Each platter had 5MB storage per side, the top platter was removable.

You don't want to know how much those things cost...

The first hard drive I ever bought was a 20MB Seagate ST-225, paid $500 for it in 1984 which works out to $25 per MB. I thought it would not be possible to ever use that much disk space. Nowadays we pay less than $0.10 per GB. Times sure have changed.

In the late '70's I was a tech at IBM working on the 3350 Madrid disk drive. It was as big as refrigerator, required 220VAC and had 2 HDA's (Head Disk Assembly) that each held 300M. I think they cost $20-30,000 and were typically installed in strings of 4. A string of 4 only stored 2.4G. It was considered the industry leader back then.

String of 3350's:
3350_string.jpg

I have a 16G thumbdrive that's about the same size as my thumbnail that I carry on my keychain that I bought it for $15. It can store more than 6 strings of those old 3350's!

I love how laptops have come down in price since my high school days. Back in high school back from 2003-2007 laptops were so expensive I remember looking around for a used one but used was like 300-500$ for something old but not too old. Damn that sucked now you can get a netbook or even a cheap full laptop from walmart that isn't too bad. Definitely would have tied me over in high school.

My first new computer I got back in 2002 it was an amd athlon xp 1800+ with 40GB HDD 256mb ram and a geforce mx 440 video card. I was the first kid my age (12 at the time) to get brand new computer. And that was back in the days where if you were one of the few people who had a cd burner in your computer you were the most popular person on the block. I actually still have that rig to this day back home being used in an office even though the ram and video card and hdd were upgraded over the years and now has windows 7 on it when it came with windows ME. It currently survived through 3 os upgrades without becoming too slow to use. Fingers crossed for windows 8!

you really couldn't do that in the old days when people were upgrading to xp from windows 98 on their existing computers which was a complete disaster speed wise.
That's really all I can tell about the good old days

I don't recall 500GB ever going for $500... $200 yes but not $500.

My first computer (that wasn't owned by my family) was an 80GB and I thought I'd never fill it...

To add on, that $500 hard drive was being offered by CompUSA and it was brand new at the time (which was just a few years ago).

Back
Top Bottom