Gonna try Linux...

Was it just a black screen with a command prompt? Normally ubuntu starts you out at a GUI, not a command prompt.

It was just a command prompt, year. I think I accidentally pressed ESC when it was 95% into installing...that could be why, but i'll try this all on my desktop when I get home.

If Ubuntu is any good, because I never got into Linux, I might just make it my primary OS for browsing the web and doing HW and use Vista for games and XP for...nothing and Leopard for experiments.

well for the record, next time you boot up and get left at a command prompt, try typing in 'startx'

Anyway, i would recommend doing a proper install, not that wubi thing.

lmk about the new ubuntu, i too was thinking about changing to linux on everything but my gaming rigs, but probably dual booting those :)

Oh yeah my PC has an AMD CPU, does Ubuntu still work on the regular i386 download or do I have to get the 64-bit edition...

Yeah, unless you have 4 GB's of RAM the 64 bit is useless. Java doesn't work right without tweaking. It also uses more RAM.

Ok its installed on my first hard drive, second partition. I want to edit Vista's bootmanager with EasyBCD. I tried grub but I don't know how to configure it. I want to get some kind GUI to boot with like when you boot from the CD.

Bumpadeebumpbump?

Back
Top Bottom