Glad to be back (Again!), and wheres ma buddie Gaincarlo?

connchri

Daemon Poster
Hi folks. Not had time to go on the net due to working all summer, so this is the 1st time in age's to post on CF. See theres a lot of new buddies so a nice warm hi to all of them. One thing that's worried me though, is where has ma good buddie Gaincarlo went to? and why was he banned?

Shame I missed the seeing off.

also, seen as it's not a too technical question of great detail i'll post it on this thread. I'm getting a new computer for my 2nd year at Uni, what should I get, a desktop or a lappy. I have my eye on a HP lappy with a Turion CPU and the ATI 200 chipset. If i go desktop it'll be a P4 630. I don't do games but need the 64bit. And no Intel v AMD. I did my research and for me the P4 630 is faster then the Athlon 3000+. (see tomshardware CPU comparisons).

Giancarlo was banned again? never knew that. A word of advice, don't ask about banned people. Btw, welcome back, whoever you are......

(desktop gives power but less portability, laptop gives portability and less power. does your uni give wireless? if they do, that would be a good reason to go for the laptop.)

yip, all wireless. last year I had ma desktop, sold it though for a laptop (FJ Amilio 1630). Sold that too coz it wasn't as portable as I had hoped. This HP is a lot thinner and lighter though, but I'm a power freak. so I dunno if I should go for a desktop but I need a PC almost everywhere. But then I need the power so ......bla! I'm so confused!

As for Gaincarlo, it was a innocent question. If anyone has a problem, then they are the problem.

i understand your pain connchri. i've been in this dilemna for almost a year. powerful laptops do exist but they are all so expensive :(

connchri said:
I have my eye on a HP lappy with a Turion CPU and the ATI 200 chipset. If i go desktop it'll be a P4 630. I don't do games but need the 64bit. And no Intel v AMD. I did my research and for me the P4 630 is faster then the Athlon 3000+. (see tomshardware CPU comparisons).

It is nice that the Turion 64 is 64-bit ready and with the new Windows coming out, you may see an improvement to overall performance. Currently, the Pentium M outperform the Turion 64. I am also using the ATI 200 chipset, so you must be looking at the same laptop I recently purchased. HP are the only company that have Turion CPUs on their laptops and they do look pretty slick with all the features they have plus the silver metallic look makes it look so aggressive. I can see a lot of improvements with the looks of the touchpad. It has scrolling capabilities now which is pretty neat and I love how the color of the touchpad matches the laptop color.

I was reading your comment how you don't do games but need 64-bit. The Turion is best for you in this case. Intel don't have 64-bit laptops yet. Overall, its a nice machine. I get around a 3 hour battery life probably more if I didn't use Media player sooooo much.

If you're a freak for power, get the Dell Inspiron XPS. It's one of the fastest in the market (several magazines gave it a pretty good review). Dell has certainly pulled it together and are starting to do better. Unfortunately, that doesn't apply to their customer service...:( But don't fret! All XPS computers (desktop and laptop!) have a special customer service team that isn't some heavy accented indian.

Back
Top Bottom