Getting my Comptia A+ Certification

I used to have all the teaching guides for the A+, network+, security+, linux+ etc,

With the thinking that I'd study and take the exams, but to be honest, if anything it just re-enforced to me how basic it is/was...

That's not to say that I think it's a waste of time, or that I think those that take it are dumb or anything.
Just that essentially as I grew up with computers, and in a time when people put together their own computers more than happens now. a lot of the things that were in those teaching guides I thought were not relevant or very simple.

Saying that they were not relevant, the teaching guides that I had I got in 2007. and they were for the exam that had just been updated (so those teaching guides were out of date), but only by a year or so.

In 2005 they were still expecting candidates to have knowledge about the ISA bus, and asking questions about the windows 95 style device manager.

I think that where I stand on it is:
If you're new to computers, then it's probably worth while, it at least makes sure that you understand the basics.

For me, I'd grown up with computers, and at the time I got those books had worked in IT for about 5 or 6 years, so the exams and qualifications were largely for a role more basic that the job I had. and there was no benefit to the exams.

I understand the pain of having to deal with IT support, having said that I work in IT support so I also understand the pain of having to work with customers!

root, I'm sure there were still snippets from Windows 98 back in the 2012 version of the test! :facepalm:

I guess it's useful for supporting older systems, but I've only seen Windows 98 once or twice, I'd understand if Windows 2000 was still on it, at least that's the same millennium!

Back
Top Bottom