Geocaching

berry120

Fully Optimized
Anyone do it? Or anyone might look into it after reading this? :p

For the unaware it's a bit like a technological treasure hunt - you grab a GPS (or your phone these days) enter in the co-ordinates of the cache, go to the location and then use a clue to try and find it.

You can search for caches online - Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site - just whack in your location and it shows a map of all the ones closest to you.

I really enjoy it - other reactions have ranged from "geeky and ridiculous" to "amazing fun" so experience is rather mixed! I find it a good way to get out the house and do something not involving electronics which is nice once in a while.

I have geocached - My username is JosephRedfern. I've not racked up a huge number of caches, but It's good fun!

Yeah, I've heard of it, never done it though. Seems like it would be interesting, there are quite a few geocaches around where I live too.

Me and my Family used to do this!! A lot of fun - I think we found over one-hundred caches before we stopped.
Ahh the memories :)

I used to do letterboxing which is a similar but much older hobby on Dartmoor - great fun and I still prefer it over geocaching! You get a rubber stamp in each letterbox you take an impression of and build up a collection over time, some are very cool, there's more per area (look under a "suspicious" rock on Dartmoor and chances are there might be a letterbox there) and it uses a map and compass rather than a GPS so it requires more good old fashioned orienteering skill.

Still, I can't get over to Dartmoor all that often because of distance - geocaching is thus great because there's loads nearby and it is similar :) Found 58 so far, hopefully getting to 100 soon! (I'm also berry120 on there if anyone's wondering.)

Back
Top Bottom