Gasoline Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
rakedog said:
Then again, their cars a lot smaller, and they don't use them that much. In fact, most citizens in London don't own a car. It's useless, with the Underground, taxi's, and the buses.

I'm talking about Italy where cars are important to people there. Very important. They love to drive real fast. :rolleyes:

prescottpower said:
well at least canada isnt in bad shape like the USA is.. the economy is very bad here. hard to get a job.

Funny how this isn't true at least nationally. The US is doing very well and is outpacing Canada and Europe.

Like Once I have the money like Acura pwns. So like hybrid cars are pretty ghey.

Anyways I spend $35 a week on gas its getting ridiculous. For the first time in my life gas has breached teh $2 mark. I can still remember the days when gas was only 99 cents a gallon.

Anyways these gas prices are crap we should revolt or something. It is driven up mainly because fear mongers saying that we are running out of oil supply which is a total crock. Many reports say that the earth has enough oil to last us for the next 10,000 years. Most of it is in the oceans though.

Also like the car companies are in bed with the oil companies. Its fact that their exist carburators that will give you 100 mpg and that there are many other simple methods that upgrade your mpg but stupid car people are just being ghey and wont give us cars like that. They just make things efficient enough to pass standards but dont strive any further since they dont have to.

Then why the crap dont we have hydrogen cars. The technology exists. Bush gave out billions of dollars to get hydrogen fuel rolling. All we have is a few lousy cars with this technology.

Who know maybe youll just have to get your car converted to natural gas but the problem with that is that there is only select stations that carry natural gas.

Then their is ethanol. Why havent we converted to this stuff 100%? Gas cars can run this stuff fine. It does reduce the life of the engine but car companies can make cars so that they are designed specifically for ethanol. There is a unlimited supply of ethanol all you do is have to grow more beens. Then the government can stop paying farmers to not grow and they will start growing bean to make ethanol.

Anyways thats my rant for the day.

Revolt? Deal with it. You are either going to have to accept this or not. No the oil prices aren't going to go down below $30/barrel. And yes you are going to have to deal wtih $2/gallon. There is 180 billion barrels worth of untapped reserves in Alberta. More then we have used since we started production of oil. I say we go into there and tap into that supply.

How much do you pay for soda by the way? $1.19 for a 2 liter bottle? $2.30 a gallon (2 two liter bottles)? Give it a rest. Soda costs more then gas. Take into account inflation. In 1979, oil prices were $85/barrel adjusted to current dollars. $35 dollars a week on gas... big deal. My parents spend $90 a week on gas (thank goodness they get these discount tickets from the US gov as they work for the government... and by the way that is for regular.. not super). They do a lot of traveling (like to Milan and such).

And hydrogen is extremely dangerous. It is very volatile. Until they find a way to keep it in a safe perimeter, a hydrogen car is unfeasible at this time. You crash it, you'll blow up half a city block. There isn't a way around this beacuse the technology is just not good enough.

Ethanol is a good idea.

But this is all a crock.. I say we stick to gasoline and invent better engines with better MPGs. I don't want to drive around in a 100 HP ethanol engine or some crap like that. You Americans have it really cheap. Maybe you should come to Europe for a change. And don't cite the smaller cars B.S. In Italy people are really obsessed about gas guzzling sports cars and they pay $2/per liter (not per gallon like you guys do!).

I side with the petroleum industry.

lol like your assumptions no hydrogen are manufactured and false. It is very stabel under the correct situations. I doubt the government would allow car manufacturers to sell hydrogen cars if they were so dangerous. LOL

You can go and buy a hydrogen car and it runs very well. Its just that they are about twice the cost of the same car with a gas engine so its not really a economically viable solution until car manufacturers increase their production to a simular level of gas cars.

And like I dont really care how much Europe pays for gas. Blame it on the EU and there stupid liberal policys. Also europe has far less refinery plants than us. And that is why its so high not cuz of crude oil prices but because of your inferior refinery network.

Have you seen the prices in the UK? Compared to us the fuel companies are practically giving it away

airiox said:
lol like your assumptions no hydrogen are manufactured and false. It is very stabel under the correct situations. I doubt the government would allow car manufacturers to sell hydrogen cars if they were so dangerous. LOL

Car manufacturers are being allowed to produce technology that would maintain hydrogen as viable. Hydrogen cars are not safe and have been deemed unsafe by the federal government. I also never said none exist. Clearly they do, however they are very dangerous if you get into an accident. you are speaking falsely. Here are some sources:

http://www.autoblog.com/entry/4734175641885042/

"Surprisingly the federal government has begun to study the safety issues involved with hydrogen vehicles far in advance of their becoming an everyday realty. We applaud the government's efforts since almost anyone could figure out driving around on a hydrogen gas tank may be dangerous. But at least they're also looking at how the gas would be delivered which is a major obstacle to a feasible hydrogen car economy. As I understand it, it still takes fossil fuels to create hydrogen. That doesn't seem too alternative to me. If we already have clean cars now, hybrids popping up like bunnies and innovations like multi-displacement systems, hydrogen almost seems less sensible. Safety is just one factor that will make a switch to hydrogen cars unlikely anytime soon."

The federal government has issued warnings against hydrogen cars as the technology is just not safe enough. Maybe for buses it is, but that is because the engine is heavily shielded.

So basically you crash it, you blow up half a city block. That simple. That's why the Governor of California wouldn't drive a hydrogen car more then a few blocks. It also takes fossil fuels to produce hydrogen, so it would be really retroactive..

So yes I speak correctly, once again.

And that is why its so high not cuz of crude oil prices but because of your inferior refinery network.

This is wrong because most of America's fuel is refined in the middle east. Why? Because most of America's refineries are 25 years old+. Same thing goes with Europe. And it moreso has to do with taxes, not because of a supposed inferior refinery network (which is debateable).

Sorry airiox.

It costs about 60bucks australian, for my mum to fill up her volvo V70.

Giancarlo said:
Canadians should be very excited about this, especially Albertans.. this could really bring a huge boom to Alberta's economy. 160 billion barrels of oil in untapped reserves.. that's huge.

I'm from Alberta and it's just kind of evening out from Bush stopping all our beef from getting past the border, if he opened that up then we'd be booming.

EDIT: Oh yeah and it costs my mom less then $20 canadian to fill up her tank on an old mazda 323. not sure how much per barrel or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom