Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-07-2007, 07:34 AM   #11
The Candyman

Default Re: the future of hard disk storage

exactly my point.. the software or hardware will have to have burn proof tech built into it that can't be interfered with, example would be outside the realm of spam/maleware/viruses/..ect you get the picture.

it would have to be on a chip of it's own that can only be read, and not able to write to it, then i think it could have good potential. only thing is..the ram and cpu would have to be able to keep up with the writing to the disc.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #12
Golden Master

I just hope they somehow make a large flash drive, that way we don't have to worry about those moving parts.

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:13 PM   #13
muz
Golden Master

there are 16gb solid state memory devices out at the moment , thats a lot of storage , it the ocz megacart http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...3&GroupID=1887
was jst actually looking at this whilst checking my usercp
Old 01-07-2007, 05:10 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDCorolla
I've also hear solid state storage too, kind of like RAM technology to store gigs of information. Very, very costly though. But super fast. Lol, we have that now with portable flash drives...It's a start.
I thought a very early version of that was already released? called the iRAM or something. oh well
Old 01-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #15
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

Yeah, the Gigabyte iRAM used regular sticks of RAM as a storage medium. The only problem with that is because RAM is volatile, when power gets cut all the data is gone forever. That's why the iRAM relies on this battery pack that automatically recharges everytime you turn on your computer.

Samsung, Sandisk and some other companies are starting to release Solid State Drives and it's essentially NAND flash on a PCB inside a shell about the size of a 2.5" notebook hard drive. The difference with NAND flash is that it's non-volatile, therefore it doesn't require a constant power source unlike Gigabyte's iRAM.

Expect to see more about SSD during CES 2007. I wish I could go...so many awesome products.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:14 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvino
Yeah, the Gigabyte iRAM used regular sticks of RAM as a storage medium. The only problem with that is because RAM is volatile, when power gets cut all the data is gone forever. That's why the iRAM relies on this battery pack that automatically recharges everytime you turn on your computer.

Samsung, Sandisk and some other companies are starting to release Solid State Drives and it's essentially NAND flash on a PCB inside a shell about the size of a 2.5" notebook hard drive. The difference with NAND flash is that it's non-volatile, therefore it doesn't require a constant power source unlike Gigabyte's iRAM.

Expect to see more about SSD during CES 2007. I wish I could go...so many awesome products.
Is the iRAM still available?
Old 01-08-2007, 05:31 PM   #17
In Runtime

I work for the government, or NARA. National Archives and Records Admin. That is where i am at this very moment. In laymens terms, it stores military records all Paper copy from ww1-now. Thats a crap ton of people, and recently the Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force were talking about placing their military records on cd. So, when Joe Doe gets released, instead of storing the Military Records/dd-214's 201's etc, the military branch will put them on CD instead of paper hard copy.

Perhaps the 5tb disk may sound a lot..but picture of instead of storing millions of paper files, how bout having a couple of disks with everyone files on it.

Words of Wisdom:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01001010 View Post
You really have no idea what you're talking about, don't you?
dorfman is offline   Reply With Quote