fuel question

Not sure how much help it'll be but they normally put simple parafin into diesel engines to stop the diesel from waxing... (not sure if this translates to petrol or not).

it's possible to run with parafin in the mixture, and this mixture is a cheap and effective way to stop waxing...

however, the $80 that you don't want to waste running till empty is going to be wasted running rough at the start of next season... (regardless of the method that you use).

all in all you might be better to bite the bullet and drain the system completly. at least then you can use the fuel in a regular car, so that it's not wasted.

or even store the fuel in the warm ready for next season, (though fuel doesn't actually sit well and stale fuel will cause pinking).

No, he doesn't want to use it in a regular vehicle, it's probably racing fuel. If he would drain it out that would most likely be wasted as the fuel won't last through the winter.

yea its high octane fuel i'm running but i'm leaving it in the car because i want to run it periodically through out the winter so when my racing season comes around next year it will just start right up.

thanks for your help guys.

D-Lew said:
There are what they call fuel stabilizers... I can't remember a brand name, Sta-Bil maybe? Anyway, I think you add it to the tank and run it for a little to get the gas in the lines burnt and the stuff with the additive all through the engine. Search for fuel stabilizer and I'm sure you'll get results. Hope this helps.

ya thats right we have to put that in our motorhome when we put it in storage so the gas doesn't go bad, you can buy it in any auto parts store

Tommy Boy said:
No, he doesn't want to use it in a regular vehicle, it's probably racing fuel. If he would drain it out that would most likely be wasted as the fuel won't last through the winter.
Thats the point I was trying to make...

if he drains it then it'll go stale and be useless.
if he leaves it in the car then it'll go stales and useless...

fuel stabilisers will only stop it waxing, and perhaps slow down the process where the fuel goes stale and is useless...
but the stabilisers will affect the performance of the fuel...

either way the fuel is going to be degraded anyway (whether it's waxed or diluted with stabilizers)...

so whatever happens the $80 of racing grade fuel is wasted anyway - I didn't for a moment think that he had $80 of regular fuel in a racing car, the weight alone would be so large as to be a big slowing factor in a race!

best course of action is to probably forget about stabilizing the fuel, run the car till nearly empty on the course (with enough for the driving that you plan to do, then let the fuel sit...

at the start of the next season drain and renew the fuel. at least then you've minimised the loss.

root said:
Thats the point I was trying to make...

if he drains it then it'll go stale and be useless.
if he leaves it in the car then it'll go stales and useless...

fuel stabilisers will only stop it waxing, and perhaps slow down the process where the fuel goes stale and is useless...
but the stabilisers will affect the performance of the fuel...

either way the fuel is going to be degraded anyway (whether it's waxed or diluted with stabilizers)...

so whatever happens the $80 of racing grade fuel is wasted anyway - I didn't for a moment think that he had $80 of regular fuel in a racing car, the weight alone would be so large as to be a big slowing factor in a race!

best course of action is to probably forget about stabilizing the fuel, run the car till nearly empty on the course (with enough for the driving that you plan to do, then let the fuel sit...

at the start of the next season drain and renew the fuel. at least then you've minimised the loss.

well the gas treatment that i bought says that it will actually boost performance, don't know how it will but i'll find out next year.

Back
Top Bottom