Fridge Your PC?

Twist86

Baseband Member
Well I took my old man for lunch yesterday for his b-day and we got into a interesting discussion about PC cooling.
He was telling me about a site he saw that had these neat vapochill units that make your PC temps 0c under high load and costing 1000 bucks+ aka the hardcore over clockers toy.

So we started to brain storm of the "cheap mans" unit. Why you ask? Because we love the idea of being cheap skates.

Now the PC we used for the idea is the one I recently fixed for my sister aka a PC we both would know about.

Specs would be this.
Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4ghz single core San Diego (zalman cpu cooler)
256mb PCI-e EVGA 7600GT (Zalman VGA cooler)
Motherboard Nforce 410/430 MCP
160gb SATA HD
4gb PC3200 Ram

Now I know condensation would be the key problem here so we set some guidelines on the fridge unit.

Now the thought was based off a 10 hour day.
Unit would be ran 10 hours per day 50% idle and 50% high loads.

Now to battle condensation this fridge would NEVER be opened again (unless it had to be to fix pc or add something) after you put the PC in and would have the door sealed to help prevent air leaking in.

PC would be put in backwards in the mini fridge to allow you to drill two 2 inch holes through the front for your wires and one 2 inch hole would be for the power supply and drives and would then be sealed as well putting caulk between the wires as well to help air leaking in.
For sake of it we just will use double sided sticky tape the PSU to the fridge door and the dvd drive on the top of the fridge.

Only thoughts we had were would be

1. Could the fridge keep up with the heat generated by the PC.
2. How long would the fridge's cooling last if it ran for 24 hours a day (aka you never turned your PC off)
3. Would turning the PC off for the night generate moister when you booted it back up in the morning.

I don't plan to do this mind you its just a thought we had and thought "what the hell lets see what others thought"

So what do you think...would it work? would it dmg your PC? Or would it just burn the compressor within a week lol.

I wouldn't do it unless you got enough money to spend on the parts and a mini fridge... I personally wouldn't put my expensive parts in a mini fridge. I'd get a water cooling system before that.

You would still get moisture and condensation even though the fridge is closed and sealed. Say bye bye to your parts if they get condensation on them.

yea, you'll have to find a way to prevent the condensation, because the fridge will always produce some. maybe if you took all the moisture out of the fridge, and kept it out?

For the the hassle of trying it out why not just use water cooling instead, you say you are going to seal the PC in the fridge, that doesn't make a lot of sense as what would you do if you had a computer problem either hardware or a virus etc? are you going to break the door down every time to get in? wouldn't it be easier to by some big fans and just leave the side panels off?

Yeah was just a thought as I said nothing I plan to do just a a subject that was brought up and sounded interesting.

not into the area thats bieng cooled i don;t believe so, however water will condensate and collect inside, also (no offense) you reall only wnat to do this if its for like a newer model computers thats a really really expensive set up for an older model comp I personally just get alot of fans for my pc so i can OC the comp and get as low of temps as possible near that orf what you have.

I had an idea..
remember that mineral oil pc
I wounded if there would be a way to really Kool down the
oil like to w/e right before its freezing point is

not into the area thats bieng cooled i don;t believe so, however water will condensate and collect inside, also (no offense) you reall only wnat to do this if its for like a newer model computers thats a really really expensive set up for an older model comp I personally just get alot of fans for my pc so i can OC the comp and get as low of temps as possible near that orf what you have.

Once again its a IDEA I have no plans of doing it.The pc we used was just a pc we both would know about.

Also people keep talking about condensation but what parts would actually be at risk and why?

Tech you could be crazy and put some Silica Gel at the bottom and it would absorb all the moisture. Long as you patched the holes up and never opened it you could have a near moisture free fridge then.

Back
Top Bottom