Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-10-2006, 08:25 AM   #21
The Candyman

Default Re: Freezing A hard drive

even though it sounds like an interesting idea of freezing your hhd to recover data is new to me, although it may work and all, here is my conclusion on the subect. when a hhd starts making clicking sounds a begans to get noisy. the hhd read/write arm is starting to go, this can be bad. after awhile the hhd will start to lose data and evenually will stop reading & writing. the solution, to just get another hhd. they are not expensive, and your computer will be alot happier in the end.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:22 AM   #22
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to h25520062 Send a message via MSN to h25520062 Send a message via Yahoo to h25520062

Great points guys. Im just about to take out the harddrive that sat over night. This will be my last try. Yes it will evenually just go bad but I want to see for myself if it works.

h25520062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:09 PM   #23
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookfield
Brilliant!! yep, just the sort of thing he would do, I believe there's a website on Bush's bloopers.
Haha, there are a ton of George "Dubya" Bush parodies or jokes about him.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 04:20 PM   #24
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~mr mixx~
even though it sounds like an interesting idea of freezing your hhd to recover data is new to me, although it may work and all, here is my conclusion on the subect. when a hhd starts making clicking sounds a begans to get noisy. the hhd read/write arm is starting to go, this can be bad. after awhile the hhd will start to lose data and evenually will stop reading & writing. the solution, to just get another hhd. they are not expensive, and your computer will be alot happier in the end.
Well yeah... the whole point to freezing it and getting it going again is to recover your data off of it.. then just throw that hard drive away and buy a new one.

For me, my hard drives never started to click until they were already dead.. heh I just reread your post and realized you said that once it STARTS to click you should get your data and then buy a new one.. sadly it isn't always that easy..
MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:28 PM   #25
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to h25520062 Send a message via MSN to h25520062 Send a message via Yahoo to h25520062

Alright heres the story. I froze my hard drive over night and poped it into the computer. I tried to install linux and it gets to 90% and starts to click. So I ran out side to get a hammer, hehe, and then came back it and it stopped clicking and said error trying to install or somthing. And then I went to click install again and it went to 100% and it worked. I shut the computer down took the cd out and rebooted it. It took a min then linux started to load while was loading it froze. And thats it thats all it does everytime its freeze up.
h25520062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:49 PM   #26
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

I've tried doing it actually. It didn't work, but only because the hard drive was completley bust.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:26 AM   #27
The Candyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by h25520062
Alright heres the story. I froze my hard drive over night and poped it into the computer. I tried to install linux and it gets to 90% and starts to click. So I ran out side to get a hammer, hehe, and then came back it and it stopped clicking and said error trying to install or somthing. And then I went to click install again and it went to 100% and it worked. I shut the computer down took the cd out and rebooted it. It took a min then linux started to load while was loading it froze. And thats it thats all it does everytime its freeze up.
well if you have the patients, it might just be a dead fish in the water at this point, but if it comes down to you giving up on the thing, here's what i would do.i would see about taking the cover off of the hhd, and see if you can do a temp fix of the arm, what have you got to lose...
Old 09-11-2006, 11:52 AM   #28
Golden Master

Wouldn't that expose the disk causing it to lose/corrupt data anyway?
Old 09-11-2006, 03:23 PM   #29
The Candyman

maybe, but it sounded like a shot in the dark, i figured it might come down to tossing the hhd anyways.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:30 PM   #30
Golden Master

I'm pretty sure opening it up would kill it, since its meant to be kept air tight, which is one reason when I did it, as you lot told me, it wouldn't condense in there causing it to blow up