Fraps Performance

Whyfly??

Daemon Poster
Not sure if this is Hardware, or Software so I put it in social lounge :)
Sorry for making mods work so they can put this in correct forum :eek:
I have Fraps (The recording program) and although performance isn't bad on my PC when I use it, there is a little stutter :mad:
Would getting a new hard drive and having the Fraps record to that hard drive boost my performance? I heard it would :)
If so, would a PATA hard drive do, or would I need SATA?
Thanks!
(COD MW2)<-----Fun, but many game-killers.

I don't think it's the interface of the drive itself, but the speed of the drive. You'll just see newer and faster hard drives using the SATA interface.

Also, I don't ever record videos with FRAPS, so I can't really tell you much.

What u mean studdering??

When I record w my rig its always silky smooth.

Try making fraps record at a smalller resolution?

I don't think it's the interface of the drive itself, but the speed of the drive. You'll just see newer and faster hard drives using the SATA interface.

Also, I don't ever record videos with FRAPS, so I can't really tell you much.

Ok thanks anyway :)
What u mean studdering??

When I record w my rig its always silky smooth.

Try making fraps record at a smalller resolution?

It is smooth, but there is a micro-stutter.
I record at 1280x720 with my Fraps at 60 FPS.
I play this on Cod with everything maxed and no anti-ailasing.
I drop to about 50 FPS or 60. It's not like a studder more like a less-then smooth performance. Just a little jump during the game.
So would getting a hard drive that's like 30 Gigs any good?
Plus I could get a crapload of PATA harddrives for free so would this boost performance?

have you ever had task manager open while doing this? see if it's maxing out your RAM or CPU. Those are places I'd check before the HDD...just a thought, I guess. I never thought games were real dependent on the HDD except on initial load (I could be completely wrong), so if that's the case it should be "freed up" so-to-speak for FRAPS to use while recording.

i always figured fraps to be a hard drive speed reliant program, since the HDD is running the game, AND recording info to the HDD from FRAPS at the same time.

but are you considering 50fps noticeably slow during playback?

i always figured fraps to be a hard drive speed reliant program, since the HDD is running the game, AND recording info to the HDD from FRAPS at the same time.

but are you considering 50fps noticeably slow during playback?

Not during playback, during playback it's great :)
Got some videos on Youtube, SILKY SMOOTH.
Thing is, when I record it's laggy while I'm recording, make it harder to own :)
So I need to know if I got a new HDD would it help any performance?

Well, if you said that you get lots of drives for free, why not just set one up as a slave for storage to see if recording to an independent drive would help any? I mean, it's free. Try it. Then assess and let us know what the scoop is.

Well, if you said that you get lots of drives for free, why not just set one up as a slave for storage to see if recording to an independent drive would help any? I mean, it's free. Try it. Then assess and let us know what the scoop is.

Yeah my grandparents work at this high school.
And they throw out a LOT of PC's!
I can get PATA drives and SATA, I'll tell what happens :D

Back
Top Bottom