Forum Etiquette for CN?

Read them...

I looked them all over and like the first one best. It's polite but to the point and takes a firm stand without being overbearing. You guys are a major help around here. If you spot any others just slap up the link and let me know.
I guess I'm gonna have to load my Sun Office 6 back in to get my html editor back up.

NP. Don't forgot to address the Codes of Conduct to prevent future recurrence of what have taken place recently.

I messed around with it some...

If you conform to the following guidelines it will go a long way to ensuring a pleasant and positive experience for all.....PLEASE:

Make your questions (and responses) as clear and intelligible as possible. If English is your native language then please use punctuation and well structured sentences to whatever extent possible. Keep the questions short and to the point, avoiding "stories" as much as possible.

Avoid "chat lingo" & shorthand for the same reason as above. Some of us find it easier to read actual words and sentences than to try to figure out what abbreviations stand for.

Please give your post a relevant topic subject. Topics titled "Please Help" don't attract as much attention from our regulars as something more descriptive will.

Do not post new problems on someone else's thread. That's called hijacking. Aside from being rude, your question may get lost in the shuffle.

If you don't know the answer to a posted problem or have nothing intelligent or helpful to contribute, please don't post in that thread.

Try to post questions in the appropriate forum. Moderators will move them if needed, but it's easier for all concerned if they are where they belong in the first place.

When you get an error message you might want to write it down and search the exact message with Google... you may be surprised with what you find. You can also post that same exact error message here so we can help resolve the problem.

Don't try to build your post count with "welcomes" or by replying to every comment in an Off Topic thread you start. Nobody likes that and we're hip to what you are doing anyway.

Of course foul language and rude behavior will not be tolerated. Neither will spam.

Also off limits are discussions of warez, cracks, or any illegal downloading of software and other related topics.

Please do not post links to competing web sites in the social lounge or the hard/software sections. There are sub forums where those go.

Use common sense when posting. We are a public, global forum. We are frequented by people of all ages and nationalities. What you find humorous others may very well find strange or off colour. Keep in mind we are primarily a technical support forum....We enjoy a good giggle but do be mindful of others.

We enjoy a spirited debate but will not tolerate> Name calling, intolerance of others opinions, and information presented as fact without links to back it up.

Flaming of others as well as abusive pm's will not be tolerated.

By all means we want you to enjoy yourselves here - just remember what Computer Forums.org is all about and try to conduct yourselves accordingly. Let's make this the best support forum on the web.

You are posting problems and asking complete strangers to solve them with no expectation of reward other than the satisfaction of knowing we helped. Hey - that's what we're here for and we're happy to do it. Still, as is the case with pretty much everything we do in life, an occasional "please" and "thank you" won't hurt and are really nice to hear.

Boilerplate model...

To any one scoping out this thread take note. This is just a concept model of some rules myself and others think would serve to help smooth out the rough edges we appear to have. Right now it's just in the discussion stage.
If you have an idea we haven't covered as members we encourage you to speak up. But only about a rule or guideline you would like to see added.

As I said, nothing is law just discussing it right now.

Hey Seti - your draft looks good from my layman's observation. (I'm not a lawyer). I'll review it again.

David Lindon said:
Has anyone not noticed the rules link at the bottom of the page?

No I haven't but I was thinking more of making the Etiquette thread a sticky and locked topic (as in case of other sites' Forums). This way no one will miss it. Oh well David it's up to you.

Back
Top Bottom