Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-12-2007, 12:28 PM   #21
Fully Optimized
 
Bahawolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 2,604
Default Re: This Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 View Post
I think we've lost more than 2 good members over the years
Yes.. yes we have.

A lot of people don't leave for much in particular.. some just leave because they become busy, as I've been known to do.

Its interesting though.. looking back at past threads from say 2006, or 2005.. and see how many of the old members who used to post with us.. how many of them are gone and banned now.
__________________

Bahawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:34 PM   #22
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,629
Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀
Default Re: This Forum

Ya this does get frustrating sometimes. I kind of saw the big crash comming though. I always open a thread in a new tab and for a while I was getting new tab's with PHP errors or something to that effect.

Then last night I tried several times to get on. The home page would load but you couldn't get into any sections.
__________________

ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:42 PM   #23
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: This Forum

I had the same white screen

This is an error, we already switched servers to a new fast server. From what I understand it's a database problem, and you cant simply throw money at it to fix it.

We could fix the problem right now, but we would loose all the posts.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #24
88
Fully Optimized
 
88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,775
Send a message via MSN to 88
Default Re: This Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-CHRIS View Post
We could fix the problem right now, but we would loose all the posts.
can you explain?
__________________
Killing under the cloak of war is no different than murder

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lsung!
88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:46 PM   #25
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: This Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 View Post
can you explain?
From David's previous posts it's a database problem, something wrong with the way the information is being stored, and crashes.

When we moved servers, all the software was reinstalled. We could simply delete the database and start fresh however, but we would loose the many thousands of posts here.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:49 PM   #26
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,534
Default Re: This Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-CHRIS View Post
From David's previous posts it's a database problem, something wrong with the way the information is being stored, and crashes.

When we moved servers, all the software was reinstalled. We could simply delete the database and start fresh however, but we would loose the many thousands of posts here.
In my opinion erasing all the posts ever made since 2003 (or whenever the forum was started) isn't a good idea... unless it comes to a point where the forum is completely unusable or there's no other option.
LA061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:50 PM   #27
Golden Master
 
Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 13,873
Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: This Forum

We can't have that either really, because since this is a forum, its not just for our benefit, but people probably do run searches.

It would be nice to clear the database of names not used anymore though, to free them, because I bet we have tonnes, though theres no saying one won't decide to come back on again, like someone who made only one post.
__________________
Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #28
88
Fully Optimized
 
88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,775
Send a message via MSN to 88
Default Re: This Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
We can't have that either really, because since this is a forum, its not just for our benefit, but people probably do run searches.

It would be nice to clear the database of names not used anymore though, to free them, because I bet we have tonnes, though theres no saying one won't decide to come back on again, like someone who made only one post.
yeah, deleting all the existing posts out of the database would be highly unorthodox. I only asked DJ Chris out of curiosity.

I think old names should be cleared though. If those people who made one post like a year ago decide to come back it shouldnt really be that much of a surprise for them to find their account has been deleted for sake of its inactivity.
__________________
Killing under the cloak of war is no different than murder

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lsung!
88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:55 PM   #29
Golden Master
 
Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 13,873
Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: This Forum

Yeah thats true, and I'm sure if they really wanted to, they could make one again with the same name, since its cleared.
__________________
Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #30
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,534
Default Re: This Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
We can't have that either really, because since this is a forum, its not just for our benefit, but people probably do run searches.

It would be nice to clear the database of names not used anymore though, to free them, because I bet we have tonnes, though theres no saying one won't decide to come back on again, like someone who made only one post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 View Post
yeah, deleting all the existing posts out of the database would be highly unorthodox. I only asked DJ Chris out of curiosity.

I think old names should be cleared though. If those people who made one post like a year ago decide to come back it shouldnt really be that much of a surprise for them to find their account has been deleted for sake of its inactivity.
I agree. I've seen other forums that delete inactive members and members that haven't even visited the forum in a year and have less than 10 posts probably won't be so disappointed to see their accounts deleted.
__________________

LA061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0