Ford Fusion

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
I have some questions about this car. Now, I know there are some car enthusiasts on here that might be able to answer this. There might even be a few who own a Ford Fusion and can tell me this.

Is it a good car?

Previously, I have been driving a 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS 4-Door Sedan with a 2.2L 4-Cylinder. This was a nice car, but it met it's fate on Monday when I lost control of the vehicle and ran into a tree stump. For those who ask, I was pretty much un-injured in this accident, a few bruises and some soreness, but no major injuries. The car, however, was a total loss. What happened was I was going around a corner @ 30 MPH when I hit the brakes. Something happened in that process and I lost control of the vehicle. I do accept most of the fault for this accident, but, damn it, you would expect a 20 thousand dollar car to have anti-lock brakes. This car did not, and that really pisses me off, because I don't think this would have happened if it had ABS. Luckily, the airbag and seat-belt saved my life.

Right now, I am driving a rental which is a 2008 Ford Focus SE 4-Door Sedan with a 2.0L 4-Cylinder. I don't really like this car. The body style is interesting, but it does not fit my tastes. The interior is good. It's sweet and simple, and also large, so it's easy to work with. The gauge readouts (MPH, RPM, etc..) are nice, but not the best for this car. The steering also feels looser than a Cobalt's, and the braking is much much better (yes, it has ABS). It also feels like it has more power than a Cobalt despite the smaller engine. Overall nice car, but I don't like it. This is going back to Enterprise within the next 2 days.

So, back to my question. Is the Ford Fusion a good car? I have seen pictures, watched video reviews, but I have never really got to look at one in real life. I have seen them on the road and have thought that they look amazing. I have been a Fusion fan since I first saw one.

Now, the particular model I'm looking at is the SEL. This model is a 4-Door sedan, and comes standard with a 3.0L V6 engine and 6-speed auto transmission. It is very sporty and stylish, but well within my price range. One very high point with the Fusion I have noticed: Safety. It comes standard with traction control, 4-wheel disk anti-lock brakes, and side curtain airbags (of course front airbags, that's a given though). It has very nice fuel economy for a car with that size engine. 18 city, 26 Highway. The Cobalt got 35 highway, but only 17 in the city. A few more things I like: control system on the steering wheel. This makes driving easier, as you don't have to look down as much as you do with a car that is all center-panel based. Also, a really nice feature- Microsoft Sync. Who doesn't want a voice activated car? This also makes driving easier by reducing the distraction time. My local Ford dealer only has one color of the SEL in stock, and that is Redfire, which is a dark metallic red. It is a very nice color, I would rather have a dark blue, but it is better to have red, as it stands out more and is safer.

This particular model sells for 25,255 BUT as my grandfather (mom's dad, as she would be signing for the car) was an employee for Ford for a very long time, we are eligible for something called the Z Plan, which from what I am told from my grandfather will take quite a bit off the cost of the vehicle. We should also be eligible for a Ford credit line, as we have bought (and paid off) our Ford F-150 (she actually paid the truck off a few months early). This vehicle was bought on Ford credit. Hopefully we can keep payments at or below 300 a month.

Thanks guys!

It's as ugly as sin and has a horrible interior, that's enough to put me off personally.

Seriously, as cars on British roads go, that thing is horrible.

My Camaro with a 5.7L V8 gets 18 city, 28 highway...

GOOD GOD

That is AWESOME! It amazes me that something with that size of an engine gets that good gas mileage.

UK1337, you say that compared to British cars that this car sucks? Well, I can't base my decision off of that. British cars are very nice compared to American cars. I could buy a British import, but I really like the Fusion.

Ya, as long as you don't romp on it, if you do, you can practically watch the gas gauge drop lol. Get a mini cooper they're pretty cool and are surprisingly big inside, at least for the driver and passenger, the backseat is a joke.

It's as ugly as sin and has a horrible interior, that's enough to put me off personally.

Seriously, as cars on British roads go, that thing is horrible.

Easy for you guys to say, you have nice fords.

The Focus is nice but I hate the 08's. 09 will be slightly improved but still will retain overall the same body style. The 2.0 Duratec is light and pretty powerful for just a regular 4 cylinder without variable valve timing or all that fancy jazz other manufac's use to make the engines more powerful. The first gen Focus IMO still has the best looking interior, until we get our hands on the Euro model which will come over in around 2-3 years. I can't believe you said the steering feels looser, the Focus has always been revered for having a tight and heavy steering wheel and relatively responsive suspension. I wonder if they changed it around much for the 08 or for the sedan in general? I also can't believe it has ABS, I guess they figured they would start making it standard for the new ones. Mine does not have ABS and it was pretty rare in the US 1st gens. You might want to try a Mazda3 if you can rent one, it's got the same engine and a newer chassis than the Focus.

On to the Fusion... overall not a bad car. It's likely it will be a little more upscale than the Focus, since I think it's Ford's entry level midsize sedan? I'm not sure if the Taurus (Formerly the 500) is the more expensive of the two, or even if they are in the same class. I haven't driven either but it looks fascinating, and some come with 4wd.

Ya, as long as you don't romp on it, if you do, you can practically watch the gas gauge drop lol. Get a mini cooper they're pretty cool and are surprisingly big inside, at least for the driver and passenger, the backseat is a joke.

Ugh, I don't like the look of em. They are alright I guess, I mean, they get awesome mileage, but I don't really like compact cars.. I like mid-sized cars, I don't think I could handle something small. Especially that small.

I have driven a similar car once. The Chevy Aero. It's just a little bigger than the Mini, but has a lot of interior room in the front surprisingly. The back was alright... If you were laying down in the fetal position... haha.. It was alright, but again, too small for my tastes.

The 08 Focus is much worse my friend, I saw the one and only 2009 Prototype in person and it was looking fly.

But besides they we're talking about the Fusion.

well ive just looked cos i know you guys get different car shapes to ours over there and the UK fusion looks like this
Ford_Fusion_front_20080222.jpg

which i dont think is the prettiest car ever but if i had no option i would drive one no problem

the US model looks like this
2007-Ford-Fusion-SEL.jpg

i dont particularly like the look of that
now what is it with american fords , you guys get ugly mondeo ugly focus ugly fusion you dont even get the fiesta or the focus c max

Back
Top Bottom