Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
Beta Member
Default First post ever

Hello, I'm going to start a 2 year degree in computers from my local community college, can someone tell me what is the best area to get a job in upon graduating?

I'm thinking about CCNA - Cisco Certified Network Associate, or CCNP - Cisco Certified Network Professional, or CWSP - Certified Wireless Security Professional, or anything that will have jobs available.

I don't care so much about salary as the availability to get a job upon graduating, I am only average at math.

kyle-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
Solid State Member
Default Re: First post ever

Sup Kyle. In Australia 93 percent of uni grads don't get a job in their chosen field because they lack work experience. So, my advice, get work experience while you study.

Vantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
Site Team
Default Re: First post ever

As above, what companies really look for these days is work experience - it really makes you stand out amongst other graduates if you've spent a year in industry as part of your degree. I did and as well as gaining that invaluable experience, I thoroughly enjoyed it, received two awards (looks great on your CV) and developed an application from scratch that's still being widely used and developed now (again, looks great on a CV.) This of course as well as the experience you get working in a company with libraries and technologies you wouldn't touch otherwise. And you get paid for it

In my mind, it's a no-brainer, make sure you go on a course where you have the opportunity to take a year out in industry.
Save the whales, feed the hungry, free the mallocs.
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote