First Digital SLR

Hi Guys,

Just ordered the D3200 with lens kit.
What SD card do you guys recommend?

I think I'm only going to go for either 8Gb or 16Gb for the moment while i'm testing but I will look to be getting more.

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

I'm looking at this:
Kingston 16GB Class 10 SD SDHC Memory Card - Moby Memory

Should do the trick

That should be fine - any SD card will do, preferably class 10 (as that one is.) If you shoot in RAW then look for one that's as big as you can get as you'll chew through space like no tomorrow - if you're just shooting in high detail JPEGs then even 8GB will provide you with tons of room.

Yeah I am looking at shooting in RAW and I think I'm going to order a 16Gb to start off with as its just going to be playing around as such then if I do anything seriously like go out for the full day somewhere will get a 32Gb or two to go with it.

Yeah I am looking at shooting in RAW and I think I'm going to order a 16Gb to start off with as its just going to be playing around as such then if I do anything seriously like go out for the full day somewhere will get a 32Gb or two to go with it.

Shooting in RAW is definitely worth it if you plan to post process your pictures and really try and get the most out of them - certainly I've constantly heard it said around that near everyone should shoot in RAW for this reason. Having said that though, I don't most of the time (I know, heathen!) purely because I don't really need the hassle of that extra post processing step, and don't have the time to fiddle around with the vast majority of pictures I take afterwards.

OK well the Nikon D3200 is out of stock and i'm an impatient man so I'm going to go ahead and order this:
Canon EOS 600D Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm IS II Lens (5170B072AA) - Wex Photographic

I wouldn't buy a canon camera right now. They seem to be pricing themselves out of the business lately. Stick with nikon if you want to actually be able to afford the lenses.

Just look at your lens options. The only reasonably priced ones that aren't terrible are the 40mm f2.8 and the 50mm f1.8. Both are focal lengths that would be more appropriate on a full frame camera. Nikon's 35mm is a much better choice as a walkaround lens, especially if you want the large aperture.

If you're really that impatient, either find the D3200 somewhere else, or buy an older nikon camera. The D3100 (or even something older) would still take excellent photos.

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy a canon camera right now. They seem to be pricing themselves out of the business lately. Stick with nikon if you want to actually be able to afford the lenses.

Just look at your lens options. The only reasonably priced ones that aren't terrible are the 40mm f2.8 and the 50mm f1.8. Both are focal lengths that would be more appropriate on a full frame camera. Nikon's 35mm is a much better choice as a walkaround lens, especially if you want the large aperture.

If you're really that impatient, either find the D3200 somewhere else, or buy an older nikon camera. The D3100 (or even something older) would still take excellent photos.

Agreed, or look at other shops? It's a popular model so surely some shops must have it in stock, and these days the price probably won't vary too much between them.

Well I bit the bullet and went for the Cannon.
I've had a nose round and the lenses don't seem to bad plus a colleague of mine has a couple of really rather good lenses that he has said I can have a play with so I can make sure whatever lenses I do buy is the right 1 for my needs.

I had to stick with the same place as I was buying it on finance as I don't have that cash at the moment.

I've had a nose round and the lenses don't seem to bad plus a colleague of mine has a couple of really rather good lenses that he has said I can have a play with so I can make sure whatever lenses I do buy is the right 1 for my needs.

I had to stick with the same place as I was buying it on finance as I don't have that cash at the moment.

Ah well, I'm sure it'll serve you nicely! Second hand lenses are always good if you're struggling to afford the prices of them new. Enjoy :)

Well, hope you like it. The biggest problem with the lens lineup is that they don't have a wide aperture standard prime for APS cameras. Your choices are the $320 35/2 leftover from the film era or something third party. Sigma's 30 is very good, but also expensive.

Get a 50mm f/1.8 when you can. This is probably the biggest upside of going canon. Their 50 is very good optically, and can be had for $100ish used. It'll get you plenty of bokeh too.

Back
Top Bottom