Firefox 4: Super-duper fast?

I do wonder whether the route they'll take is to get a lot stricter with their plugins, similar to Windows getting a lot stricter with its drivers a few years back. It'd certainly help to decrease the amount of problems people see...

seamonkey is pretty good. It reminds me of the old mozilla browser based off of netscape. I heard IE9 is not going to run on xp so if people don't upgrade to vista or 7 then there could be a lot of firefox migration taking place. I already had this happen on an old lappy I had given to me in 2006 with win2k. IE7 did not run so I used FF. If I still had that computer though I would have almost no choice but to use FF or seamonkey since IE6 is not supported by anything anymore and is very insecure.
This is only going to happen with xp soon when IE8 gets the boot

You could do what I used to when I used win 2k.

Run a virtual machine with debian. In that virtual machine, install WINE, then use it to run the newer version of IE.

Boom, IE9 in XP. :cool:

not that 99.9% of the population would think to do that though.

I thought wine uses windows xp's APIs so technically ie9 wouldn't run in wine would it? plus isn't wine really slow? I remember having wine on an ubuntu install and installing winamp and the whole process of installing it took 15 min instead of the 1.5 min in windows

I ran Wine in Sabayon and it was fine. IE6 and down will work I've never seen/had a sucsessful working IE7 and 8 working.

I ran Wine in Sabayon and it was fine. IE6 and down will work I've never seen/had a sucsessful working IE7 and 8 working.

I have IE7 working on one of my linux boxes. Doesn't take too much to get it working right.

I thought wine uses windows xp's APIs so technically ie9 wouldn't run in wine would it? plus isn't wine really slow? I remember having wine on an ubuntu install and installing winamp and the whole process of installing it took 15 min instead of the 1.5 min in windows

Newer versions can use vista APIs as well, and it runs about as fast as Windows. I can even play some Windows games in it.

Very old versions were slow though.

I didn't know you could run IE on Wine. I thought that you had to install a Gecko package to make window's apps thing that IE was installed, when it was actually Gecko that was doing the rendering!

Back
Top Bottom