finnish DRM

root

Site Team
Staff member
yes, that finnish should have two n's as it reffers to the people of finland...

seems their legal system have bent over and taken it hard from the publishing companies, it's now illegal to copy anything, (including CD's and anything like that -even for personal use, if it means that you have to break a copy protection...

this bans copying ANY DVDs (in finland), and a lot of CDs

source: -http://www.theregister.com/2005/10/06/finlands_drm_law/

so glad I don't live there...

daemon said:
I do! :)

But I don't really mind the new law. Wouldn't be the 1st one I have broken.
Aren't you pissed at that though? I mean it's not enough that you pay for it now, but you're also not entitled to make any kind of backup for yourself?!

I know that breaking the law is commonplace, but it seems stupid to me that copying a CD to play in my car would becmoe illegal just because I wanted to preserve the original.

The whole thing sounds a little silly.

It wouldn't be so bad if the record companies etc. would drop their prices. Here in the UK, a full priced album can cost up to £16.99, and I once saw The Wall by Pink Floyd selling for £30. In US$, those are $29.96 and $52.90. Anyone knows that's way too expensive for a CD.

Luckily, DVD's are a good bit cheaper than that, so it isn't all bad :p

root said:
Aren't you pissed at that though? I mean it's not enough that you pay for it now, but you're also not entitled to make any kind of backup for yourself?!

I know that breaking the law is commonplace, but it seems stupid to me that copying a CD to play in my car would becmoe illegal just because I wanted to preserve the original.

Yeah to me it seems quite stupid. They probably made it coz not long ago there were 2 guys caught of copying stuff to cds and selling/giving them to their friends. But still, I don't really get the point of this law. And ppl have been complaining about the law being hard to understand since it has alot of stuff in it. I hope it doesn't make downloading copyrighted stuff illegal, I wouldn't like that.

Back
Top Bottom