Film Colorization

Tech Explorer

In Runtime
At first I didn't like it. Didn't look natural and made the film look blurry, clumsy attempt. Nowadays looks much better (e.g. the Laurel & Hardy films).

A film critic feels that if the movie producer wanted to have it in color, he would have made it that way. But this would be second guessing the producer. Anyways what do you think about film colorization?

Until a process is developed that would produce excellent quality natural color, I'd rather watch the old classics in B&W.

Until a process is developed that would produce excellent quality natural color, I'd rather watch the old classics in B&W.

If you adjust the tv to black and white, would that work for you or does the colorization process still affect the quality somehow?

No, pure B&W can still be achieved just by turning off the color.

That's what I would do rather than watch a poorly colorized film.

Movies made in the period where there was no color film have a certain flavor to them. Casablanca in color would loose that aire about it that made it so great. The directors made the movies in B&W using what they had to so much dramatic effect.
Colorize the old B&W classics? Sacrilege!

Movies made in the period where there was no color film have a certain flavor to them. Casablanca in color would loose that aire about it that made it so great. The directors made the movies in B&W using what they had to so much dramatic effect.

I agree....old westerns, sit-coms, early John Wayne films can be colorized and don't bother me at all.

However, films like "Judgment at Nuremberg", "Inherit the Wind", or "Fail Safe", would lose something in the transformation.

As someone who does black and white photography, I definitely agree. There are many techniques employed that just don't translate well into color. Also, the directors intended for the films to be black and white. Think of it like art. You wouldn't go mess with someone's paintings just because you think you can make it look better.

Back
Top Bottom