Fertilizer plant explosion in Waco, TX

foothead

Omnicide now.
Fertilizer plant explosion near Waco, TX

So I just checked the news, and it seems this happened. BBC News - Many casualties in Texas Waco fertiliser plant blast

Videos of the explosion:

CAUGHT ON CAMERA: Fertilizer Plant Explosion Near Waco, Texas - YouTube

NEW PERSPECTIVE Fertilizer Plant Explosion Waco - YouTube

KWTX is reporting 5-15 dead (with 8 confirmed now) and at least 100 injured, though that number will probably change later on.

I don't even know what to say at this point. The news this past few days has been so crazy. Hopefully this is the end of it.

Last edited:
I was at work about 30 miles away and didn't feel anything though there was reports of feeling that far away elsewhere. Didn't hear about it until 2 hours later. Heard the sirens from ambulances going to the hospital nearby work. My friend lives on campus at school 13 miles away said he felt a little bit and barely heard it. But other than that I don't know much else other that what I see on the news.

To correct, the explosion was in West, TX, near but not in Waco.

Ammonium nitrate is highly explosive in it self. Seeing in the second clip there was a fire already going, it was a matter of time before there was a triggering of the chemicals. That's some nasty stuff.

It has been reported the company had 54,000lbs (20 tonnes) of anhydrous ammonia on site.

In 2006, the plant was cited by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality for failing to obtain or to qualify for a permit.

Last edited:
A lot of the news coverage got it wrong at first. My mom called me to see if I was ok, probably because she saw it said Waco instead of West. :p

Now they are saying something like 30-35 dead last I read. Over 200 went to the hospital.

Total devastation. I was just scoping out some news sites and the area looks like it was hit with a nuke.
It's a crying shame that plants like that don't have tighter government controls. Like I said in my other post the plant failed to get or even qualify for a permit to handle those chemicals. Those in charge and the owners if they didn't die in the fire and explosion, should be given the maximum penalty. It's criminal, just out and out criminal to recklessly endanger the lives of those working at the plant and those living in the surrounding area.

I was wondering why a fertilizer plant was right up against a suburban area in the first place... There's enough open country around that area that moving it half a mile out of town the only major damage that would have happened is blown out windows and probably a few people cut from flying glass.

It happened about 7:50. While I don't know when quitting time for the company was. If it was like a normal place it would be 5-6, most people working there would have gone home by the time it caught fire and blew.

I was wondering why a fertilizer plant was right up against a suburban area in the first place... There's enough open country around that area that moving it half a mile out of town the only major damage that would have happened is blown out windows and probably a few people cut from flying glass.

It happened about 7:50. While I don't know when quitting time for the company was. If it was like a normal place it would be 5-6, most people working there would have gone home by the time it caught fire and blew.

People were evacuated when the fire started. Afaik, none of the plant workers were still in the factory.

That plant was built a long time ago, and the town sorta expanded into it. Texas has a tendency to not have zoning laws (or at least very lax ones) so there really wasn't a lot of oversight. (BTW, lack of zoning laws is what led to the clusterf**k that is Houston) The explosion risk probably wasn't even considered when doing construction on these buildings.

Back
Top Bottom