Feeding ethernet cable through floor

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I have my desktop up in my room, and the modem is in the room right below me. What is the best way to feed the ethernet through the floors? I plan on using the same hole that the coaxial cable went through. However, I have a feeling there is a gap between the 2 floors and if I were to feed the ethernet normally, it will just get lost along the way before I see it in the room below.

EDIT - Hmm, I might need a bigger hole. How can I make the hole slightly bigger without damaging the coaxial cable?

Last edited:
Could you take pictures of the ceiling from the floor below (have you got removable boards there?) and how the hole for the cable is done?

Having installed security systems for a numbers of years here's what I'd do.
Get a wire coathanger and straighten it out. On one end bend a small hoop. Tie a string to the hoop and tie the other end to something that won't fit through the hole. Feed the coathanger through the hole keeping it as straight as you can. Tap around till you find the hole and let the coathanger slip down. Tie the string to the network cable and tape it up so the tab doesn't hang up. Go downstairs and pull the cable through.
You're done.
Enjoy your new hardwire connection.
However if the hole is too small on the top floor end you'd be better off using a hole saw to make another hole right next to the one there. Downstairs it's just a matter of taking a screw driver and wallering out the sheetrock.

You could also try using magnets. Take something magnetic and tie it to a piece of string, then put it through the hole and use a strong magnet to drag it along the path of the existing cable. When it gets to the other end, cut the string and tie it to the ethernet cable, then pull the other end of the string to get the cable through. I've never done this before, but it's definitely the first thing I'd try.

Could you take pictures of the ceiling from the floor below (have you got removable boards there?) and how the hole for the cable is done?

I'm currently at my apartment, when I go back to the house, I'll try to take some pictures. From what I remember, there is just a small hole (smaller than the end of a coaxial) in the corner of my closet. Whereas there is a whole about 2-3 times as big on the closet right below my room.

Get a wire coathanger and straighten it out. On one end bend a small hoop. Tie a string to the hoop and tie the other end to something that won't fit through the hole. Feed the coathanger through the hole keeping it as straight as you can. Tap around till you find the hole and let the coathanger slip down. Tie the string to the network cable and tape it up so the tab doesn't hang up. Go downstairs and pull the cable through.
You're done.
However if the hole is too small on the top floor end you'd be better off using a hole saw to make another hole right next to the one there. Downstairs it's just a matter of taking a screw driver and wallering out the sheetrock.

Alright, a friend of mine recommended me to use a coat hanger as well. Another friend of mine will be going to my house tomorrow with his drill and we'll see if we can drill another hole just for the ethernet upstairs. The downstairs hole should be big enough for the 2.

You could also try using magnets. Take something magnetic and tie it to a piece of string, then put it through the hole and use a strong magnet to drag it along the path of the existing cable. When it gets to the other end, cut the string and tie it to the ethernet cable, then pull the other end of the string to get the cable through. I've never done this before, but it's definitely the first thing I'd try.

The only magnets I have is bucky balls, lol.

You're done.

Totally true, this is what I'd do.

Yeah, we did it. However, it was kind of hard (or at least according to my friend) to drill another hole. So what we did was just expand it and fed the Ethernet cord taped with a coat hanger wire. My coaxial cable got damaged in the process, and I'm not exactly sure how to take the coaxial cable out, so I just bought a coaxial extension adapter to put the two back together.

Back
Top Bottom