Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-07-2005, 02:30 AM   #191
Fully Optimized

Default Re: The fall of Microsoft?

Anyone heard about the people that made Unix wanting to charge companies that give out Linux for free?

Old 02-07-2005, 03:04 AM   #192
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to rakedog

Heh, it's far too late to ask for that. The unix kernel has been changed far too much..

The best argument against evolution are creationists themselves. They prove that life is devolving rather than evolving.
rakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 03:37 AM   #193
Fully Optimized

Well from the little article i read it says that they are taking them to court of something!
Old 02-07-2005, 04:45 AM   #194
In Runtime

Yeah Sco who distribute Unix based systems are pushing lawsuits against ibm, novell and debian at the moment I believe.
dreamweaverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 08:19 AM   #195
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to athlon64fx

good I hope they win so linux gets phased out and people stop whining. heck, linus torvalds himself said he "borrowed" some SCO code to "get him started" in a rare interview in a magazine I read.

OSes need to be unified or no application will work on all and for enterprise scenarios it will lead to higher pain and lots of loss and higher TCO. lots of it!!!

maintenence costs are much higher.
athlon64fx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 08:24 AM   #196
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD ZEN
The Windows Virus has gone to your brain. Point and click syndrome. Get Linux and use that brain of yours using the Terminal.
see soemtimes its a pain in the ass for everyday use and also takes half an hour to do something and could cause companies alot more money for that.

not everyones gonna have time to enter several commands in a terminal to get a simple thing done. lots of people dotn have time for linux and just wanna get stuff doen quicker. specially businesses. and also gives them too much stress to worry about maintianing kernals and no central point of adminstration for large numbers of desktops. tried redhat in enperprise applicatons and it fails misreably. and installing a linux based enterprise app accross more than 1000 systems can be a real pain if those 'grabber" tools in linux dont work with your network.

I can present lots of examples here but im too tired.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:20 AM   #197
In Runtime

Quote:
heck, linus torvalds himself said he "borrowed" some SCO code to "get him started" in a rare interview in a magazine I read
The only problem with what your saying is that sco did not own the unix source code in 1992 when the first disros started to appear, so how can linus torvalds have borrowed it from sco? Novell owned the unix source code rights at that time and then sold them to sco later. Plus sco are being financially crippled by these lawsuits they are chasing, so they'll probaly go bust before anything happens, plus they're up against IBM who are much, mcuh larger than Sco.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:45 PM   #198
Golden Master

well. that magazine said it I cnat find it anymore I used to ahve that mag but I think it got thrown away a long time ago and ive oved several times since then.

all i could remember is was made by zdnet or cmp.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:47 PM   #199
In Runtime

who was it then???
Old 02-07-2005, 01:39 PM   #200
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlon64fx
see soemtimes its a pain in the ass for everyday use and also takes half an hour to do something and could cause companies alot more money for that.
lots of operating systems are like that. the famous blue screen of death. *shudder* i've seen it with xp.

Quote:
not everyones gonna have time to enter several commands in a terminal to get a simple thing done.
make a script then.

Quote:
lots of people dotn have time for linux and just wanna get stuff doen quicker. specially businesses. and also gives them too much stress to worry about maintianing kernals
i agree but no one has time for any maintainance. thats why we hire custodians to clean up the hallways. we hire system administrators to maintain the network. the fact that there exists companies that use linux smoothly shows that there are businesses that can manage with linux.

Quote:
and no central point of adminstration for large numbers of desktops.
i have no idea what the hell you are talkiing about here.

Quote:
tried redhat in enperprise applicatons and it fails misreably. and installing a linux based enterprise app accross more than 1000 systems can be a real pain if those 'grabber" tools in linux dont work with your network.
then set them up properly. as it is, do not blame the os for faulty software. do you curse windows for the deficiencies of word?

Quote:
I can present lots of examples here but im too tired.
get some rest then come back and tell us.

Tulsileaf is offline   Reply With Quote