Fake e-mails

Brookfield

Golden Master
I read somewhere lately, that somone was accused of sending abusive emails, when investigated, it was proved that he hadn't sent them, although his e-mail address was shown as the sender, how can this happen?, it's worrying, anyone, including me, could end up being accused, if some nut took it into his head to do it to me, how can the perpetrator engineer this?, obviously it can be detected as fake, but the mag article didn't explain how, surely only the actual sender can display his/her address on the "Sender" line.

Maurice

Well they could some how hack into your e-mail account..

I know they attempted that with my paypal account saying I added a new e-mail address

Yes they can spoof the email, just need telnet, and connect to an email service (Yahoo,ect) anyone can do it really...Scary stuff.

Spoofing.. I remember those days all too well..
Got my cousing disconneted from his email as a joke awhile back... He didin't think it was funny..

Real easy to do if you know how..

BuzzStPoint said:
Got my cousing disconneted from his email as a joke awhile back... He didin't think it was funny..

i promise i will not use it for harm just as a joke to one of my friends can you please PM me and tell me how??

BuzzStPoint said:

Buzz, as a favour please do not pass this knowledge on...

Even if you jsut did it as a joke, it wouldnt be a joke to the email service they are starting to crack down on people abusing there service.

Not to worry wombat... I wont..

Back then, all an ISP would do is slap your wrist and tell you no...

Now you can get into some trouble for this...
I will give a hint though..
Google is your friend..

Thanks guys, of course I wouldn't do it, but just how do the authorities trace it back??
Purely as an experiment you must underststand, I sent a blank email to myself, then clicked on "reply" & altered the "To" & "Sender" area, so that's how it might be done, so how the heck could they trace that back?
I can't stress too strongly that I have very high principles, so I would NOT do it, even as a joke, [some joke!!!], so if anyone can tell me how this way of doing it can be traced back, please PM me, so as not to give some people ideas.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom