The Everex XT5000T notebook I bought last week

shepsan

Solid State Member
These are my wholly subjective impressions about the notebook I bought last week:

My needs . . . to have a modestly priced, full featured notebook to use as a backup to my desktop computer when needed and to work off of a battery for short periods when I am away from home.

For a number of weeks, I personally inspected Acer, Dell, HP and Toshiba models at local shops. Then, I saw an OfficeMax internet advertisement that caught my eye. It was for an Everex XT5000T notebook fully loaded with Vista, a 100GB hard disc, 1GB or ram, an excellent sound card, a large 17" screen, is wireless and has bluetooth. At its modest price it seemed to be too good to be true. I accessed the Everex website and read their data and downloaded the user's manual so I could learn more details about this unit.

The Xt5000T appeared to meet my needs so I ordered it for $699 from OfficeMax on April 12. It was delivered the next day, April 13. This was the fastest delivery of any electronic device I have ever ordered from an internet site.

It is now one week later and the notebook has exceeded my every expectation. It IS fully featured, powered by an AMD TurionTM 64 x 2 Mobile 1.6Ghz Processor, has a large screen with clear and highly defined resolution, is easy to use and was modestly priced.

The keyboard and mouse are far different than my desktop. No problem, I will simply adapt and learn to use them.

The 1GB of ram was acceptable but I decided to add another GB and bought a Kingston stick from NewEgg and quickly installed it.

I also decided to add a second hard disc. I bought a WD 160GB disc from ZipZoomFly and installed it in the available second bay.

Operationally, the notebook is quite good. It is fast enough, easy to use and visually attractive. I have had no problems accessing the internet through the NetGear router in my computer room. Its only drawback that I find is that it has a short battery power of only about 1-1/2 to 2 hours whle in heavy use mode. There are adjustments that can be made such as lowering the intensity of the screen, etc., that will lengthen the operating span of the battery.

IMO, for the money this notebook is simply a super buy. It costs far less than the Dell, HP or Toshiba models that I had inspected; and, it has more features. Even with the memory and hard disc additions I have made, the cost as it is presently configured is between $400 and $900 less than those other brands.

If I had wanted a laptop/notebook to carry with me each day to work sites, I would have purchased a smaller unit (simply for the ease of transporting it). However, my main purpose, as previously stated, is have a modestly priced, full featured notebook to use as a backup to my desktop computer when needed and to take with me when I periodcially travel from home.

Back
Top Bottom