Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Juice Send a message via MSN to Juice
Default Electric motor sparking

Hey i posted about a motor i have was broken, well i got the part for it, and i fired it up and it was a little wet, and it sparked. So i thought something was wrong from the water. I dried it and let it start up for a little and found that it is spinning properly however it is still sparking, is it bad that its sparking, or is this normal on an electric motor? Its not brushless. The brushes are sparking? Help please, thanks

Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Electric motor sparking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
Hey i posted about a motor i have was broken, well i got the part for it, and i fired it up and it was a little wet, and it sparked. So i thought something was wrong from the water. I dried it and let it start up for a little and found that it is spinning properly however it is still sparking, is it bad that its sparking, or is this normal on an electric motor? Its not brushless. The brushes are sparking? Help please, thanks
Uhhhmm. I wouldn't be TOO worried about it. I have had many electric motors spark. It is probably just voltage jumping from the middle to the side or vice versa..

"If that guy knew half the $h*t that I know, his fuzzy little head would explode. " - Matthew Farrell
vampist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Hmm it goes zap and it scared me... i know my electric drills spark too... When its turning on and shutting off it zaps and when its running it still sparks a little like the drills kinda lit up. is something wrong with the brushes, theyre not worn, but they look rough on the edges

Im just afraid it might be sparking a little too much cus it does have a little burnt smell but no smoke, just when i smell it smells a lil burnt

Damn man you know alot about motors lol
Old 06-25-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
Hmm it goes zap and it scared me... i know my electric drills spark too... When its turning on and shutting off it zaps and when its running it still sparks a little like the drills kinda lit up. is something wrong with the brushes, theyre not worn, but they look rough on the edges

Im just afraid it might be sparking a little too much cus it does have a little burnt smell but no smoke, just when i smell it smells a lil burnt

Damn man you know alot about motors lol
Lol eh. I just know a little of this a little of that.

If you can, lower the amount of voltage going to the motor a little.
But I wouldn't be to worried about it, like i said most of them just spark a little when there voltage is enough it jumps from the brushes to the communicator. What I have read you can do is let it run for a while, and it can "break the motor in".

"If that guy knew half the $h*t that I know, his fuzzy little head would explode. " - Matthew Farrell
vampist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Yeah it is a lawn mower motor and since the grass was growing tall i had to cut... so i just went and used it and it works fine. Ill open it up again later and see if its still sparking

Thanks!