Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Arrow Duel: HTC One X (AT&T vs. International)

Jeez, it's been a while.

Let's talk about the HTC One X. I'm about to buy one as a secondary "toy" phone, as I currently have a 4S on AT&T here in California. I was about to pull the trigger last week, but decided to hold off as I researched the differences between these two phones.

Basically, there are two different One X models I'm considering:

The US, AT&T version:
- 4G LTE
- Dual-Core Snapdragon S4
- 16GB Storage max
- 2GB RAM
- AT&T Bloatware
The International version:
- No LTE, Not sure about 4G (don't think so)
- Quad-Core Nvidia Tegra 3
- 32GB Storage max
- 1GB RAM
- HTC Sense
I was initially leaning toward the International version, simply because of the quad-core chip and the clean, Sense interface. However, I hadn't realized that it lacks LTE (which isn't available by my house, anyway). Does anyone know if the International version may support AT&T's 4G (HSPA+?) service based on its operating frequencies (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)?

Also, it seems like Engadget, along with many other reviewers, noted that the AT&T version with the dual-core Snapdragon is actually faster overall in benchmark tests, AND boasts a slightly longer battery life compared to the International Version with the quad-core Tegra.

I shouldn't be spending THIS much time obsessing over small differences, but I'd like some input/opinions/suggestions from y'all. What do you think?

Old 06-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x
Default Re: Duel: HTC One X (AT&T vs. International)

Browse XDA developers, those guys are awesome when it comes to HTC phones. You can get Sense on either one probably. The Tegra 3 is a real powerful phone though I thought.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Duel: HTC One X (AT&T vs. International)

Sense is HTC's GUI, so it comes on the International version already (since it is a vanilla HTC phone, no carrier branding/additions). If I bought the AT&T version, I'd immediately root it, so that isn't a HUGE issue.

The Tegra 3 is a great performer and seems to have interesting perks. BUT, it also seems like Android (and subsequent applications for these phones) aren't fully optimized to use quad-core technology. As such, the dual-core is outperforming it on many tests. (Reminds me of the old desktop tests and benchmarks we used to run for our dual-core/quad-cores: Duals usually outperformed quads on benchmarks)

What I find interesting is that the quad-core version uses a substantial amount of battery life when surfing the net (about 15-20% more than the quad core). The battery life is, apparently, worse than the dual-core, which is quite a bummer, considering that the Snapdragon actually *feels* faster to some reviewers in daily use.

I'm torn.

Tags
cell, htc, international, one x, phone