Dubai! Insanity!

yep. but as long as exxon-mobile is in bed with congress and the car manufacturers are making profits we won't see it happen. Although now that people in the US are buying less vehicles due to high gas prices, manufacturers like toyota and honda are finding alternatives and pumping out hybrids. Honda is making a hydrogen vehicle set for release either this summer or summer 09.
The reason the US also doesn't have the money for these projects is partly due to the amount of bureaucracy in our govt. The govt. eats up our tax dollars, blows them on wars like in Iraq and funnels them into congressional pay raises while continuing to overtax American citizens and then borrowing money from China so we can have some money which we'll continue to waste. Those governments aren't as top heavy as ours, and can afford these things partly due to the fact they aren't policing the world and fighting wars that should have been over 4 years ago. Too bad we can't work on improving ourselves versus fighting a war that shouldn't have been fought in the first place.
Those projects are cool though, I like the palm tree island thing. I bet it's expensive to live there though!

Very well put and I couldn't agree more. I just cringe every time i watch future weapons on discovery channel and the military (usually American) is bragging about missiles that costs 10 million a piece and it shows them blowing them up in the desert. I just see 10 million dollars exploding in a plume of smoke, dust and fire.
Also recently the US Air Force has retired a lot of their aircraft like F-15's and the stealth fighter jets. What a waste. Now they're just scrap metal....multi-billion dollar pieces of scrap metal.
Then there's Canadians who are crying for our government to pour more money into our own military. I could just round house kick every one of those people in the face for lobbying for that.

And another thing, the province of Alberta is the richest in Canada due to our oil sands and yet I seeing very little come from it. I see more and more people moving here demanding housing and all that happens is an increase in the cost of...well everything. I attend a University and every year the cost of tuition goes up by hundreds of dollars. Recently we have re-elected the same Premier who has done absolutely nothing for Alberta since he was elected in the first place. I seriously think I am missing something here unless there are some big plans in the works (there had better be).

I guess I am feeling a little bit jealous to see so much development in Dubai.

I attend a University and every year the cost of tuition goes up by hundreds of dollars.

In the US its not uncommon for the tuition of a college over four years to raise a couple thousand dollars. So thats not that bad, some colleges do lock in the price of tuition but most don't here in the States.

Plus any money the United States has left over gets put towards our alleviating our national debt. Plus the fact we don't live in a oppressive dictatorship also hinders our government from encouraging some of those crazy pet projects.

it's not all built but a lot of those projects have at least been started. It's all located in the United Arab Emirate just to the north west of Saudi Arabia.

I also located this too. It's some high upper class housing called the Jumeriah Islands just onshore in Dubai.

333839845_ad218e38ce.jpg

and here's some of the housing on one of the palm tree islands

463684757_4d95b47b7f.jpg

Wow that is pretty weird but would be fun to live on

Very well put and I couldn't agree more. I just cringe every time i watch future weapons on discovery channel and the military (usually American) is bragging about missiles that costs 10 million a piece and it shows them blowing them up in the desert. I just see 10 million dollars exploding in a plume of smoke, dust and fire.
Also recently the US Air Force has retired a lot of their aircraft like F-15's and the stealth fighter jets. What a waste. Now they're just scrap metal....multi-billion dollar pieces of scrap metal.
Then there's Canadians who are crying for our government to pour more money into our own military. I could just round house kick every one of those people in the face for lobbying for that.

And another thing, the province of Alberta is the richest in Canada due to our oil sands and yet I seeing very little come from it. I see more and more people moving here demanding housing and all that happens is an increase in the cost of...well everything. I attend a University and every year the cost of tuition goes up by hundreds of dollars. Recently we have re-elected the same Premier who has done absolutely nothing for Alberta since he was elected in the first place. I seriously think I am missing something here unless there are some big plans in the works (there had better be).

I guess I am feeling a little bit jealous to see so much development in Dubai.

Do you live in Alberta?

I'm from Edmonton by the way. If you're a Flames fan, I'm gonna have to punch you in the face.

Nah, not really, but where in Canada are you from? :p

Do you live in Alberta?

I'm from Edmonton by the way. If you're a Flames fan, I'm gonna have to punch you in the face.

Nah, not really, but where in Canada are you from? :p

Lethbridge, Alberta

and no, not a flames fan or bandwagon jumper.

yo this is the coolest thing i have ever seen,
google earth shows dual palm tree islands as well as the states islands
zomg!!!!
but this is going to be a giant terrorist attraction
no offense to anyone BTW
any one live their?
Wow!!!

Also recently the US Air Force has retired a lot of their aircraft like F-15's and the stealth fighter jets. What a waste. Now they're just scrap metal....multi-billion dollar pieces of scrap metal

FYI: A lot of those aircraft are either sold off to other countries (granted, I doubt the F-117 stealth fighter will be sent off ANYTIME in the near future because of how technologically advanced it still is.), placed in the desert for dry storage where they can resume service if needed, converted into drones for practice shooting, or scrapped and recycled (a lot of that metal, esp titanium is very hard to come by).

So it's not a total waste as it may seem.

It's impressive how much is going on there. You guys are saying that once their oil is all dried up that will be the end of it, but look at all the crap going on there. Their property values have skyrocketed, they have several amusement parks going up, tourism is going to be bigger than Las Vegas, they just turned a steaming pile of crap desert into a gold mine.

You guys are saying that once their oil is all dried up that will be the end of it, but look at all the crap going on there. Their property values have skyrocketed, they have several amusement parks going up, tourism is going to be bigger than Las Vegas, they just turned a steaming pile of crap desert into a gold mine.

well actually i retract my statement about that. I read recently that only a small portion of Dubai's profits come from oil revenue. The UAE has a relatively short supply of oil left already. It said something about investments and trade is where the big money comes from. Who knew. I guess it was pure ignorance on my part to assume it was all oil revenue.

Nice. :) As you've guessed, I'm an Oilers fan. :p Not doing too well the past years, but oh well...

not entirely true they made the playoffs, what was it, 2 years ago? But more recently yeah they've been sucking.

Haha, yeah the 2005-2006 season. It was pure luck though...8th seed and managed to go to Stanley Cup finals. :p

Back
Top Bottom