Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-29-2010, 03:51 AM   #1
In Runtime
 
Sinonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 424
Send a message via AIM to Sinonymous
Default Droid X or Netbook?

Hey guys, I need your help and insight on a decision. I'm constantly on the move and usually bored out of my mind. I was debating on buying a used netbook with XP for games and handheld emus (my personal back-ups of my gameboy games and homebrew ds games) or buy a Droid X since I was fed up with my software-walled, call-dropping Alias 2 and buy the emus for it. Suggestions?

Edit: Verizon is the only provider that works in my town.
Edit Edit: I already have a an 14" IBM T42. But is it still worth getting a netbook?
__________________

__________________
Diglett get off that chair! You'll scare the neighbors because that doesn't make sense.
Sinonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:57 AM   #2
Bogan
 
Neodude112320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,471
Send a message via MSN to Neodude112320
Default Re: Droid X or Netbook?

If you already have a laptop and you hate your phone,i'd go with the Droid X.

Why not an iPad?
__________________

__________________
Desktop:BitFenix Survivor~Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3R~ i7 2600K @ 4hz~AMD 6870 1GB~12gb Team Elite DDR3 1333~3xWD In RAID5~W7 Ult
Laptop:Alienware M11x~ i7-2637M 1.7GHz~16GB 1333MHz DDR3~GeForce GT 540M~W7 Ult
Neodude112320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:00 AM   #3
Omnicide now.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: My own personal hell
Posts: 10,014
Default Re: Droid X or Netbook?

It depends entirely on you. I have an iPhone and a netbook (which has been tablet-ized) and I prefer surfing on the iPhone, mainly because of the small size. The netbook is better for watching videos and such though. You also get all the features of a computer.

I would personally get a palm pre (that is verizon right?) because you get free mobile hotspot with it. I've got it set up on my iPhone, and it is so nice on trips, when I can tether my netbook to it.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:01 AM   #4
In Runtime
 
Sinonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 424
Send a message via AIM to Sinonymous
Default Re: Droid X or Netbook?

iPad is a bit to big in my taste and I couldn't justify paying $499 for a tablet that didn't have a usb port. HP Slate ranks a bit higher but thats just meh.

Edit: Good point foot, but how is the Palm on the OS factor?
__________________
Diglett get off that chair! You'll scare the neighbors because that doesn't make sense.
Sinonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:04 AM   #5
BSOD
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 504
Default Re: Droid X or Netbook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringdapain View Post
Hey guys, I need your help and insight on a decision. I'm constantly on the move and usually bored out of my mind. I was debating on buying a used netbook with XP for games and handheld emus (my personal back-ups of my gameboy games and homebrew ds games) or buy a Droid X since I was fed up with my software-walled, call-dropping Alias 2 and buy the emus for it. Suggestions?

Edit: Verizon is the only provider that works in my town.
Edit Edit: I already have a an 14" IBM T42. But is it still worth getting a netbook?
Would you use the netbook entirely for gaming?
gmcrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:07 AM   #6
In Runtime
 
Sinonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 424
Send a message via AIM to Sinonymous
Default Re: Droid X or Netbook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcrepair View Post
Would you use the netbook entirely for gaming?
Small games and handheld emulation. Not graphics heavy games. Just something to keep me entertained. Thats why I have a PS3 and X360 and a bigger laptop than the T42.
__________________
Diglett get off that chair! You'll scare the neighbors because that doesn't make sense.
Sinonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:11 AM   #7
Omnicide now.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: My own personal hell
Posts: 10,014
Default Re: Droid X or Netbook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringdapain View Post
iPad is a bit to big in my taste and I couldn't justify paying $499 for a tablet that didn't have a usb port. HP Slate ranks a bit higher but thats just meh.

Edit: Good point foot, but how is the Palm on the OS factor?
The new Palm OS is surprisingly good. You don't have the huge range of apps that android or iPhone OS has, but they are still there for anything you really need. Mobile hotspot is awesome. You're restricted to 5GB a month, but I highly doubt you would use that much unless you are DLing ISOs or something.

Since you mentioned emulators, I know of three for palm, though I am sure there are more. The ones I've seen are for NES, SNES, and PSX. All run pretty much flawlessly from what I've heard.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:16 AM   #8
In Runtime
 
Sinonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 424
Send a message via AIM to Sinonymous
Default Re: Droid X or Netbook?

Well the reason I brought up the Droid X is that it will be offered with an unlimited data plan and it will also have mobile hotspot tethering availble. But I buy my games that I emulate so I'd be pefectly content with 5 gigs.
__________________
Diglett get off that chair! You'll scare the neighbors because that doesn't make sense.
Sinonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:19 AM   #9
BSOD
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 504
Default Re: Droid X or Netbook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
The new Palm OS is surprisingly good. You don't have the huge range of apps that android or iPhone OS has, but they are still there for anything you really need. Mobile hotspot is awesome. You're restricted to 5GB a month, but I highly doubt you would use that much unless you are DLing ISOs or something.

Since you mentioned emulators, I know of three for palm, though I am sure there are more. The ones I've seen are for NES, SNES, and PSX. All run pretty much flawlessly from what I've heard.
A notebook would be great I think just for small gaming and nothing too "overkill" but you can also get them cheap.
gmcrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:20 AM   #10
Golden Master
 
sniperviper21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 5,438
Default Re: Droid X or Netbook?

i cant remember where i saw it, but i think Flash 10.1 will be out for Motorola Droid in late July or August when 2.2 comes out.

and i used about 34GBs on this past months bill on my verizon account. Though i have unlimited.
__________________

__________________
You got to have a Fiddle in the band!
sniperviper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0