Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-19-2007, 01:15 PM   #11
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to D-Lew
Default Re: Driving, yay!

You have to prove that you can drive a manual in the UK?

Here's my 2 cents. If you're passionate about driving, learn stick. It's much more rewarding and provides for better car control, and not to mention better mileage (if you don't have a lead foot).

D-Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:20 PM   #12
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

Yep I believe so, and I've always planned to drive manual
I hardly ever use automatic in racing games either

Old 10-19-2007, 01:24 PM   #13
BSOD

Auto is better!

dellcomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:28 PM   #14
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to GlasseyeUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Lew View Post
You have to prove that you can drive a manual in the UK?

Here's my 2 cents. If you're passionate about driving, learn stick. It's much more rewarding and provides for better car control, and not to mention better mileage (if you don't have a lead foot).
If you pass your test in an automatic, then you will later have to take another test to pass a manual in the UK. However if you pass your test in a manual then you can drive either.

I could understand the benefits of driving automatic in the states, as when I lived there, people seemed to think nothing of driving 2-3hrs for just a night out. So its simpler to put your foot down and go, however to me it loses all the fun out of driving, down shifting to overtake, and heading round the corners, feeling the engine scream as you push it further......

Ahh well now I just need a decent car to do all that in....

Time tells all, but if the moment in time passes and you miss it, then you will remember it for ever!!
GlasseyeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #15
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

driving is great. just make sure you dont do anything wrong in the test, that was my mistake
never mind lol
Old 10-19-2007, 03:09 PM   #16
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀

Thats different didn't know the UK required you to drive both a auto and stick to get your license. Over stateside the only thing your required to use a manual for to get your license is you CDL which I should be getting in a few months.

How did you go 3 years without getting your license man I had my permit 30 days before I turned 16 and my actual license on my 16th birthday. Back on the old law just missed the new 6 month required permit crap.

As for driving its pretty simple. I watch for others more then what i'm doing because thats the biggest problem on the roads. Idiots doing stupid stuff. Of course not to sound like a hypocrite I was one of those idiots when I first got my license.
ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:47 PM   #17
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellcomputer View Post
Auto is better!

Actually... Its not. Manual is A LOT better if you know how to drive it. You get a ton more control. And its easier on teh trans, easier to fix problems with, and can get better gas milage. Or you can get better performance and acceleration. All in all its better. Others will agree with me too.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:16 PM   #18
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieDaShark83 View Post
Thats different didn't know the UK required you to drive both a auto and stick to get your license. Over stateside the only thing your required to use a manual for to get your license is you CDL which I should be getting in a few months.

How did you go 3 years without getting your license man I had my permit 30 days before I turned 16 and my actual license on my 16th birthday. Back on the old law just missed the new 6 month required permit crap.

As for driving its pretty simple. I watch for others more then what i'm doing because thats the biggest problem on the roads. Idiots doing stupid stuff. Of course not to sound like a hypocrite I was one of those idiots when I first got my license.
you only need to know how to drive a manual. not sure if you can do the test in an automatic but im 100% sure you dont need to do both. mainly because i had my test about 12 hours ago
Old 10-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #19
Daemon Poster

Learning manual isn't as hard as you think it is. Few times around the block and you are set. Its the hills you have to get really use to
Nvidia 7600 GS 256 MB PCI-E 16x
jo5h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:33 PM   #20
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman22x View Post
Actually... Its not. Manual is A LOT better if you know how to drive it. You get a ton more control. And its easier on teh trans, easier to fix problems with, and can get better gas milage. Or you can get better performance and acceleration. All in all its better. Others will agree with me too.
Agreed. You will also get more HP at the wheel because automatics rob a little bit more power than manual transmissions.

But the most important part is that they are way more fun to drive than automatics.