driving class question?

Ronco Rox

Fully Optimized
hey guys i've got a question for driving classes because the dmv online doesn't give me that much info.

i am 17 in 25 days. at that time i am able to take my road test because i have had my permit for more than 6 months. i would take it but when i go buy a car i my insurance would be insane. so i must take drivers ed to get it lowered by at least 10% or something like that.

well the sign up is this month but i don't want to pay 475 bux for a 3hour course, 3 days a week for 6 weeks becuase i have school and work and i am a very busy person also i am very lazy. my friend who is in drivers ed think its rediculous because you barely drive. you get like 15 minutes behind the wheel.

now another freind told me that there was something else that i could do to get my insurance lowered. you first need a license (so i could take the road test, get my juniors and take the class). then i would take this 6 hour class that is in one day and you drive with a driving instructor. from here you drive all over the place pretty much repeating the road test and if you pass again you can get 10% deducted on your insurance.

now i don't know what this is called and i want to find out where to go and do this. becuase honestly i think drivers ed is a waste. the only good thing about it is that you can get your full lincense when your 17 but i would have no use for it because i have no where to be at 4 am lol

so if anyone could give me a little more info on this i would apreciate it :D

you can't get your license when you're 16 in new york? that sucks. i took drivers ed in school it was like $315. didnt make much of a difference on my insurance, but since i'd never driven before, it made a big difference there, more important i think. i also didnt have to take the driving test at the bmv since i got a high score with drivers ed. anyhow, just get your license, and a beater car, and put it on your parents insurance. just for reference, my '95 mustang gt was only $60/month full coverage on my dads insurance, now, my beater '96 geo metro is $80/month in my own name, liability only. but i have 2 tickets as well haha

moral of the story, if you have the money to take drivers ed at school, do it. you will get lots of information and practice. that is what really counts.

wsigo said:
you can't get your license when you're 16 in new york? that sucks. i took drivers ed in school it was like $315. didnt make much of a difference on my insurance, but since i'd never driven before, it made a big difference there, more important i think. i also didnt have to take the driving test at the bmv since i got a high score with drivers ed. anyhow, just get your license, and a beater car, and put it on your parents insurance. just for reference, my '95 mustang gt was only $60/month full coverage on my dads insurance, now, my beater '96 geo metro is $80/month in my own name, liability only. but i have 2 tickets as well haha

moral of the story, if you have the money to take drivers ed at school, do it. you will get lots of information and practice. that is what really counts.

well all the instructors at this drivers ed are morons. all they tell you do is drive to 7/11 so they everyone get something to eat lol. i still have to look into it though.

but yet its not like i have never been on the road before. for that whole year i had my permit i was out driving somewhere. so i do have much experience with the basics and yelling at assholes who cut me off :)

lol word of advice (anyone who watches family guy can say the same thign) DON"T MAKE EYE CONTACT WITH THE PERSON NEXT TO YOU AT A RED LIGHT DURRING YOUR TEST!

haha, one of my favorite episodes of all times. but as far as insurance goes, see if your insurance company offers a good-grade discount. i got over $200 off on mine for that.
also relating to insurance: i am taking a drivin course this summer in advanced driving, which covers accident avoidance, and crash control (teaches how to control blow outs and crap like that while its actually happening to ya) the best part, insurance is takin more money off my insurance bill once i do that and pass it. its kinda expensive, but it'll save money in the long run. look into stuff like this if you can afford it, and see if your company will give ya disounts for it.

well what i am going to take is a defensive driving course. i hear that will take a lot off the insurance becuase long island and new york itself is known for its asshole drivers lol.

Defensive driving rocks!
I didn't know if you were looking to improve your skills or what, for me there hasn't been a better thing than autocross. It's legal racing on a flat paved surface through a gated cone course, one car at a time. It has really improved my awareness as a driver, as well as my knowledge of what my Focus can and cannot do in an emergency situation. But I doubt it will lower your insurance. :D

well i am mainly taking the courses for the insurance and a little for the driving. but its not like i have never been in a car before lol.

i mean i race 4c super mods at like 130 and dodging cars left and right.
082.jpg

that be me and ma ride btw :D

but i think its stupid how guys insurance is more than girls

well it's a known fact that guy's are more risky, but yeah i think it should be equal.

argreed. around here girls get into more accidents they guys.... then again, i live around a bunch of real-life dumb blonds....

Ronco Rox said:
well i am mainly taking the courses for the insurance and a little for the driving. but its not like i have never been in a car before lol.

i mean i race 4c super mods at like 130 and dodging cars left and right.
082.jpg

Wow that's awesome. So it looks like you're a step or two above me, heheh. :D
I wish I could break into more serious racing or sponsorships somehow, but right now I'm just slow Solo2 Focus D-Lew. lol

And I agree with you on that last part. Just because there are a bunch of wild DA's that think they can go out, party and drink all night, then race home doesn't mean I'm one of them. I race home completely sober! :eek:
Actually, I'm a good driver, I know my limits, the car's limits, and when it's OK to have a little fun around the curves.

Back
Top Bottom