Don't overlook the simple things!!!

Natalya1

Daemon Poster
Here is a story i thought i should share with everyone at CF. Its about a simple resolution that people would not usually think of.

The other day i was at work and the level 2 tech support got a call from a bank asking if there is a way they can find out through windows what day Windows XP was installed on their machines.

All the level 2 techs started going through the registry trying to find the appropriate file and they couldnt find it, so they told all level 1 and level 3 tech support to get together and try to find a resolution.

Meanwhile, me and the network admin happened to be walking past the tech support dept. when we got asked to join in. "Just sit and try to think of a way to find out what day windows was installed"...

I started to think then it hit me...

Right click on the c:\windows folder and see what day it was created!!!! the windows folder is created when windows is installed!

haha so simple!! we told that to the guy on the phone and he was sooo happy with us!! i got a praise email sent around the office!! haha

Moral: Don't overlook the obviously simple resolutions when it comes to fixing or finding out things about computers.

Natalya

sometimes the answer is just too simple...

Like once I was wondering why my pc didn't work. Everything was running fine, only problem was that I didn't get any images on the screen. So after like 10 mins of trying to fix it, I finally realized that I had connected my monitor to the integrated vid card, which ofcourse was disabled since I was using an agp vid card.

I had great confidence from the start that you'd do well, you'll go far, own department in eighteen months a cert!! :D

Back
Top Bottom