Dog relearning its name?

>> I think it'll be something like aus-low-zen - "au" pronounced like "ow" <<

No, it's not. And if your dialect of English has pre-fortis clipping, you will mispronounce the "ow". Also it's ö, not "o". And if it were "o", it wouldn't be pronounced like English "o", unless you are from Minnesota or Ireland. Most dialects of English have a strongly diphthongal o sound. In German, it's a monophthong.

>> I think it'll be something like aus-low-zen - "au" pronounced like "ow" <<

No, it's not. And if your dialect of English has pre-fortis clipping, you will mispronounce the "ow". Also it's ö, not "o". And if it were "o", it wouldn't be pronounced like English "o", unless you are from Minnesota or Ireland. Most dialects of English have a strongly diphthongal o sound. In German, it's a monophthong.

Are you a German native speaker? It's pretty difficult to get the correct pronunciation out on paper, so I may say it differently than how you pronounce it using my description.

The /o/ sound in Modern English is different than the /o/ sound in Hochdeutsch, except for certain dialects of English, such as in Minnesota. In German, the tongue does not move when pronouncing the /o/ or /o:/ sound. In most dialects it does: it's a diphthong, it glides to an "oo" sound at the end.

For example:
In England English Received Pronunciation: it goes from a sort of schwa sound to /U/.
In California English, most people place the tongue too far to the front of the mouth, and then glide to a /U/ sound.

Thus in these, as well as most English dialects, the /o(U)/ sound is inappropriate to use in German.

We think Trigger is 4 years old. And thanks setishock and iPat but, she doesn't seem to recognize that either... But she is very patient so, learning her name will come eventually. Oh, I almost forgot... Her owner was in Iraq and someone told me the husband didn't do anything (except feed her) with the dog for a year and a half so maybe she is trying to get used to or may have to relearn her commands.

It was a bit like that with our german shepard as well her previous owner locked her up in a small area and now she has the run of the whole back of our house , the only room she cant go in is the lounge/living room or upstairs and it took her a while to get used to our family life maybe 6-8 months to be fully used to it. Now she knows that when i come down at 9am to go to college that isnt walkies time but when i come down after dinner at about 7Pm thats when its time for walkies it took her a long time to get used to that routine but now without fail when she heres me putting my shoes on at abou 7pm its time to walk
So yes dont worry if she seems a little weird af first she just has to get used to how your family works and how things work in your household

Back
Top Bottom