Does Nothing Exist?

There can't be nothing if something is there.

In your example, there is something. To call that "nothing" would be incorrect as there is air, bacteria, walls, floors, etc. Those are surely something.

You cannot measure nothing as it doesn't have a length, weight, density or time.

Yeah, you can't think of space, air, or empty bank accounts as nothing. It is kind of a hard concept to grasp really...

Here's a few things you need to know about nothing people -
1. The Devil is greater than nothing.
2. Nothing is greater than God.
3. The Devil is greater than God.
So, in the end, were all screwed.

Another thing you should know about nothing -

If nothingness exists, it would, in fact, be something, the antonym of nothing. This argues that the concept of nothingness is purely a misconception.

And for you scientific Guru's out there, here's this tad bit on nothing -

In physics, the word nothing is not used in any technical sense. A region of space is called a vacuum if it does not contain any matter, though it can contain physical fields. In fact, it is practically impossible to construct a region of space that contains no matter or fields, since gravity cannot be blocked and all objects at a non-zero temperature radiate electromagnetically. However, even if such a region existed, it could still not be referred to as "nothing", since it has properties and a measurable existence as part of the quantum-mechanical vacuum.

Does that solve everyone's problems?

What you just described is something. If nothing were to exist, then that would be something.

This discussion is about nothing, plain and simple.

So far,After reading all these posts,i have come to the conclusion:

Nothing = Lack of Something

Nothing is simply a figure of speech to represent a lack of something.

nothing is simply defined as the absence of something,

just as some people pointed out earlier.
dark is simply the absence of dark,
we define no light as dark,
we define no heat as cold,
no count as zero.
The concept of nothing as always been a strange one. with the last example of counting, zero was the last number invented in the counting system.
even in some languages today there is no word for zero.
if you have nothing why would you worry about counting it.

What about space? Now there is a place with "nothing"
actually there is quite a lot in space, planets for a start, and the space in between planets is not nothing either, also space is not a perfect vacuum there is stuff inside of it, if there were nothing inside of it then things would expand to fill the space.

Chuck norris is divisable by zero.
the only thing divisible by zero is zero. Chuck Norris is zero.

So nothing is possible depending on what context its use in.

I.E. 'I have nothing in my account. £0.00'. = True

Although some might 'say' they have nothing but in fact have £0.48. = False

That's not nothing, thats a lie.
that's a turn of phrase, people say they have noting to say that they have very little.
there is nothing in space, but we already said that there is stuff in space, just so little that we say nothing.

black hole = nothing. its anti matter.
no, anti matter is the opposite of matter.
the same as -1 is the opposite of 1.
same as having an account balance of $0.47OD is having less than no money.

zero is nothing.

presumably if you could turn matter into anti-matter there would be a point in the middle where there was nothing.

However, E=MC^2 suggests that you can't destroy matter you could turn it into energy and have less matter, by the same token it's likely that you could turn energy into matter, or indeed anti-matter.
but I think that's way above my head.

Back
Top Bottom