Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #11
Fully Optimized
 
hascet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,218
Default Re: Does anyone know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Zilcho
Thanks freestyler, I owe you one. I'm suprised they didn't cover that in the basic article on Buddhism, but thanks for going the extra mile.

And I agree, I think Buddhism is very interesting, and while I'm a Christian, I really like some of their principles.

Edit: I'l have to look into predestination, as it sound interesting.
o we learned about predestination in World Histaory! Its where before you are born its supposedly predetermined if you are going to heaven or hell, and that you can tell if someone is chosen by the way they act, so if they act good and do good deeds then they are going to heaven, yet if they are bad then they will go to hell I think its something like that. And don't quote me on this but I think it was Martin Luther that came up with the idea(ps not martin luther king jr. this is the one from like the 1700's ) but i'm not entirely sure about that...
__________________

__________________
www.crazycomputers.org
hascet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:40 PM   #12
Golden Master
 
borat_sagdiyev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,986
Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev
Default Re: Does anyone know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lindon
Would you say buddhism is a religion or just a way or life?
its a mental retardation.


im just joking

i think its a way of life
__________________

__________________
Core 2 Duo e4500 2.2ghz @ 2.8ghz
evga 650i ultra
2gb 400mhz ram OC'ed to 450
evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
borat_sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:19 PM   #13
Fully Optimized
 
boardordi3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,392
Default Re: Does anyone know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by borat_sagdiyev
its a mental retardation.


im just joking

i think its a way of life
well a religion is a way of life, so its a religion
__________________
We ride, we die {}FORUM 2007{}
boardordi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:25 PM   #14
Fully Optimized
 
macbook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,468
Send a message via MSN to macbook
Default Re: Does anyone know...

not sure to be honest, i beleive in the theory of evolution
__________________
4GB Intel Core Duo - 1.25 GB DDR2 SDRAM
macbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:33 PM   #15
Golden Master
 
freestyler105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,883
Default Re: Does anyone know...

No problem Zilcho.



I think it's pretty much both. It really depends on your perspective, but this is how I view it.

A religion is defined as:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary.com
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
Buddhism would be in that category, because it tells people that to achieve Nirvana, (basically when you realize the absolute truth of the world, and then once you die, you will not be reincarnated again) you must follow the Eightfold Path and the Four Noble Truths.

The Four Noble Truths basically say that to achieve Nirvana, you have to stay away from all human desire, because desire is the cause of all suffering. The Eightfold Path tells you how to avoid human desire.

So it's a religion, because it is a set of beliefs that have to do with the cause/nature/purpose of the universe.

But it is also a way of life, because Buddhists must follow the Eightfold Path in their everyday life so they can achieve Nirvana.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
The Eightfold Path
* Wisdom
1. Right view
2. Right intention

* Ethical conduct
3. Right speech
4. Right action
5. Right livelihood

* Mental discipline
6. Right effort
7. Right mindfulness
8. Right concentration

Also, the theory of evolution is not a religion. I'm Catholic, yet I somewhat believe evolution. I just assume that it is not chance that made things evolve the way they did, it was God's will.
__________________
C2D E6600 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 9800GTX+ | Asus P5B-E | 150GB Raptor | 320GB 7200.10 | 750W Xigmatek PSU
freestyler105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:23 PM   #16
Fully Optimized
 
spywarebanisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,135
Default Re: Does anyone know...

mac book explain ur sig to me: 4GB Intel Core Duo - 1.25 GB DDR2 SDRAM
wats 4 gb?
spywarebanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:29 PM   #17
Golden Master
 
freestyler105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,883
Default Re: Does anyone know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spywarebanisher
mac book explain ur sig to me: 4GB Intel Core Duo - 1.25 GB DDR2 SDRAM
wats 4 gb?
I was wondering about that as well...
__________________

__________________
C2D E6600 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 9800GTX+ | Asus P5B-E | 150GB Raptor | 320GB 7200.10 | 750W Xigmatek PSU
freestyler105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0