Does anyone else think it is offensive to call new people newbies

Arc_Sphere

Solid State Member
I find it VERY OFFENSIVE that they call people that just joined the forum 'newbies'. I know a fair amount about computers and am currently doing a course to improve my skills so the should change the 'newbie' to something like 'Normal' like in some other forum site i have been to.

I don't really think "newbies" is offensive, more like "n00b" is more offensive in my opinion. I don't remember calling anyone a "newbie" or "newb" before, and if I have, I apologize if it offended you.

I find it VERY OFFENSIVE that they call people that just joined the forum 'newbies'. I know a fair amount about computers and am currently doing a course to improve my skills so the should change the 'newbie' to something like 'Normal' like in some other forum site i have been to.
Newbies are newbies wherever you go, frankly I'm amazed that you find it "highly offensive", may I ask how old you are? I was one two years ago, we all were newbies at one time, then you become "new" or "junior" member, you're not a newbie for long, your comments on that would be welcome, freedom of speech is paramount here.

I don't really think "newbies" is offensive, more like "n00b" is more offensive in my opinion. I don't remember calling anyone a "newbie" or "newb" before, and if I have, I apologize if it offended you.

I think he is talking about the user title.

And no, it's not offencive at all. You are new to the forum, therefore a newbie here.

I was and still am a newbie lol :D and its not realy that offensive to me , its just like saying new member, i have been on some forums where you get called NOOB for even asking a question . And besides its only a user title so i wouldnt worry about it too much

Newbie status doesn't mean that you don't know anything about computers it just means your a newbie to this forum. Join any forum and your going to have a rating system like that.

And to sit here and read how you find it VERY OFFENSIVE is just plain funny.

But then again you may have just mis understood what that meant. In which case your newbie status will go away after either 50 or 100 posts.

Welcome to the forum and mellow out man. It will be alright!

NEWBIE!!!!! :cool:

Yeah, your a newbie to the forum. It doesn't mean your a newbie to computers, because most people that join these forums aren't.

It's less offensive than noob. When you join the forum, you are a "newbie" (not to computers, but to the forum in general) and that title will soon be gone when you make a few posts. :) In no way do we try to offend anyone with it.

Newbie status doesn't mean that you don't know anything about computers it just means your a newbie to this forum. Join any forum and your going to have a rating system like that, but then again you may have just misunderstood what that meant. In which case your newbie status will go away after either 50 or 100 posts.
Just what I told him, we were all newbies once, in fact I was promoted to mod, only six weeks in, whilst I was still a new member with around 50 posts, now nearly 9000, so everybody has opportunities here, that's what makes it a great site:)

Back
Top Bottom