Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Do you think someone will ever come up with a solution to computer viruses?

Probably the hottest question that'll be around for quite awhile.

Comp Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
BSOD

Default Re: Do you think someone will ever come up with a solution to computer viruses?

It's called anti virus programs, there are a lot of them

cjphalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Do you think someone will ever come up with a solution to computer viruses?

no.

in order to prevent viruses, you need to know about them. There are thousands of viruses created per hour in the world, across hundreds of platforms, software and firmware. Someone, somewhere can write malicious code to infect anyone on any device anywhere. Windows has the most viruses because it is the majority OS, but if Mac OS or Linux became the majority OS, it would become a much bigger target for malware and more UNIX and Linux viruses would be made.

You could make an AV program to block viruses coming in, but if the definitions are out of date by even a few hours, a new trojan or virus can get in and infect you, without your AV even knowing.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

Simple answer. . . No.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

think of it likes this

The question of whether or not we will even have a simple solution to viruses is like asking if we will ever have a general cure for the common cold.

There are so many variations, no one thing can cure them all. Instead we have symptomatic cures for some of them (Anti-virus) like horlicks.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp Explorer View Post
Probably the hottest question that'll be around for quite awhile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Simple answer. . . No.
This hot question has been "cooled off."
Old 04-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Darkseeker~ View Post
think of it likes this

The question of whether or not we will even have a simple solution to viruses is like asking if we will ever have a general cure for the common cold.

There are so many variations, no one thing can cure them all. Instead we have symptomatic cures for some of them (Anti-virus) like horlicks.
Just to mention, last time I heard, in the medical field a "universal vaccine" is being prepared to start being used next year.

Besides viruses I was reading up on malware that can take over somebody's computer for all sorts of illegitimate purposes which we have to worry about too. I hope that somebody will find an answer.
Comp Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
Beta Member

Let me think..... No!!!
bill the pc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
JCB
Daemon Poster

to minimise risk use an OS that is not Microsoft
Old 04-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Simple answer is now. Viruses generate too much money for the people who code them (either by pretending to be a legitimate antivirus that happened to install itself and find thousands of threats or selling your information) to die. As long as there is money in it, people will spend the time to outsmart anti-virus programs.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote