Do you Fold?

The Amish Kid

Fully Optimized
I was wondering if there are any people here that fold at home. If you dont know what it is....
Understanding how proteins self-assemble ("protein folding") is a holy grail of modern molecular biophysics. What makes it such a great challenge is its complexity, which renders simulations of folding extremely computationally demanding, and difficult to understand. The Stanford group has developed a new way to simulate protein folding. However, this method is extremely computationally demanding and they need our help.
More details Here

So basically it's a program that runs in the background(uses the spare CPU cylces) that helps scientists understand some of the worst diseases there are. I know CF has a team but nobody folds for it at all.

I'm starting my own team that will be part of a larger team(on another forum). If anybody wants to help out it would be greatly aprreciated. Just PM me if you are interested and I will give you links to where to download the program and how to set it up.

dude, im not shortening my cpu life to lengthen someone elses life.

nah, just jokin. i cant do it cuz it would take alot of bandwidth and i have 60 gigs max, and i usually come out at about 40 gigs.

Id do it, but its like a p2p thing, and my Internet crashes when p2p is running. Last time I used limewire he had to reboot his servers :p

So, im scared to try.

It doesn't use much internet bandwidth.
And I'm using Rosetta @ home, which is kinda the same thing, but it uses the BOINC client which is awesome because the BOINC client is very very good, and I can also use the Seti @ home (and many other) similar programs with the BOINC client.

Though I'm not doing it now since all I have is this crappy laptop :D, but when I finally get my mobo then it's time to start again.

Problem is, You dont even get to see the fruits of your labor. It's like is it even doing anything?

Paradox said:
Problem is, You dont even get to see the fruits of your labor. It's like is it even doing anything?

actually with the BOINC client all (atleast all that I have used) programs have some sort of screen saver which shows u what it's doing. Like Rosetta @ home shows u exactly what it's doing and what the results are.I don't have any idea what the results actually mean. But u do know that it does something, and I bet that there are some smart people who can tell something about the results that my computer provides.

The only bandwidth it uses is downloading new work units or uploading them. These are only a few hundred kb's.

Paradox said:
You may not see the benefits but you should know that this is helping scientists understand some really bad diseases(Cancer, Parkinsons, Alzheimer's). Its not like its labor anyways, you just download a program and let it run in the background. You dont even notice its there.

I used to do folding but I don't anymore

Folding's a good idea, but I keep it from running on my networks. Creates even MORE heat in uncooled areas etc.

DJ-CHRIS said:
I used to do folding but I don't anymore

Folding's a good idea, but I keep it from running on my networks. Creates even MORE heat in uncooled areas etc.
Yeah it can cause quite a bit of heat. I had to lower my overclock now that it is getting hotter out.

I used a folding program.

It was only meant to be running at full speed when my CPU wasn't being used, but I found out, even on its lowest priorty setting, it was slowing my PC down, just like Limewire does when I have that running.

Windows/programs open slow/jerk, etc.

So I would do, but because my computers always being used when its on, and mostly at max CPU load, the program finds it hard to run. When I'm not on it, my brother is on a seperate partition, or its off at night because its in the same room as we sleep.

So... I'd like to help, but without limiting my CPU time, I can't really.

Back
Top Bottom