Do you collect movies?

I sort of got sick of movies...

Basically I started working just as VHS was dying out, but before it was quite obviously dead, so I ploughed loads of money into buying up cheap films cause that was my entertainment.
Now they are worthless and I basically can't even watch them, I just can't bring myself to buy DVD's knowing that they are already outmoded by Bluray.

and find blurays over priced and expensive... not only that but I see digital delivery as the future, (as in digital purchase -to keep, not renting via netflix etc...)

I've got XMBC setup read for being able to just buy content straight to it. and I've ripped the DVD's that I've got, but otherwise I'm just sitting and waiting for the future to arrive at the moment.

To me movies are "disposable things", I download them (from legitimate sources) . . . or not, watch them and delete them.
Or I stream them from Sky Movies or Netflix on demand.

I used to buy a good few DVDs but then I began to realise that I'd watch them once and most of them time never again and since in the UK your talking £5 - £15 per DVD that's a lot of cash though admittedly they can be found cheaper but good films are rarely less than £5.

A friend of mine is a big film downloader and has recently filled up 3 x 2Tb HDDs of films, he's looking for a PCI card that has another 4 SATA slots so he can add more storage!

... I just can't bring myself to buy DVD's knowing that they are already outmoded by Bluray. ...
I own a Bluray player but refuse to buy Bluray disks for it. The other day I saw a movie in the store and wanted to buy it but since they only had it in Bluray, I passed on it. I like the idea of digital delivery but absolutely hate DRM. If it ever comes down to only being able to buy digital delivery of movies, complete with DRM, then I will probably stop buying movies altogether.

Also I have so many that the cases took up a lot of room so I kept the DVDs on spindles and tossed the cases.

Y'all have favorites? :)

That's a good way of scratching them believe me, i have tons of music cd's on spindles and they scratch easy from them being stacked on top of each other.

I have a few dvd's that i picked up from pawn shops for about $3 bucks each. I only pick up movies i know i won't mind watching over & over.

A couple of my favorite movies are Diehard 3, and War of the worlds.

To me movies are "disposable things", I download them (from legitimate sources) . . . or not, watch them and delete them.
Or I stream them from Sky Movies or Netflix on demand.

I used to buy a good few DVDs but then I began to realise that I'd watch them once and most of them time never again and since in the UK your talking £5 - £15 per DVD that's a lot of cash though admittedly they can be found cheaper but good films are rarely less than £5.

This is me. There are only a few movies that I care to watch more than once so I'm not big on collecting them. I have a small collection of ones that I've bought (ones worth watching more than once) but most just get rented and returned.

I know most people watch the movie and move on but my collection's so big that most I've watched was one time. I don't like movies on TV because of commercials and most don't have CC or SDH. Those that do are obstructive most of the time. The reason I collect is for this feature and it's commercial free plus anytime I'm in the mood to watch and what.

Yesterday I picked up "I Love You Man" and "That Old Feeling" that I'd never seen before and they were pretty good.

Oh yeah, I watched "SALT" yesterday and "Gangster No 1" today for the second time. :)

I was tempted to buy 4 seasons of Law & Order SVU which were for $9 each but thought I need to save and don't need them right now and I already have Season 1 on my hard drive.

Yeh I bought my dad an external hard drive so he could watch all the movies he wants on his tv :)

My fav movie has to be pulp fiction :)

Back
Top Bottom