Do you agree with this?

Not only don't I believe that this fellow is guilty, I think it is completely absurd that a country like France, having extremist Muslims marching in the streets threatening death to their government, would have a few more important issues to deal with, then some over paid pop stars music rights.

But, that's just my opinion.

Technically speaking, he is guilty. It doesn't matter that he didn't download the songs, legally as the owner of the internet provision to that address, he's responsible for any content that's downloaded, *whoever* it was that actually did it.

Practically speaking though, this is insane, and I'm shocked such a law could be passed in a civilised country. It's purely in place because it makes it easier to convict people and please the hugely over-earning extortionate record companies rather than finding out who actually committed the "crime".

It'd be the same principle as giving me a speeding fine if I let someone borrow my car and they got caught speeding, accusing me of supplying drugs if I rented my house and someone used it for growing illegal drugs, convicting me of murder if I let someone use my kitchen knife to cut some vegetables and they took it and stabbed someone. Utterly ridiculous.

Talking of that, if that law was in place (with regards to murder), if someone murdered me with my own gun, would I have technically committed suicide? ;)

technically speaking, he is guilty. It doesn't matter that he didn't download the songs, legally as the owner of the internet provision to that address, he's responsible for any content that's downloaded, *whoever* it was that actually did it.

Practically speaking though, this is insane, and i'm shocked such a law could be passed in a civilised country. It's purely in place because it makes it easier to convict people and please the hugely over-earning extortionate record companies rather than finding out who actually committed the "crime".

It'd be the same principle as giving me a speeding fine if i let someone borrow my car and they got caught speeding, accusing me of supplying drugs if i rented my house and someone used it for growing illegal drugs, convicting me of murder if i let someone use my kitchen knife to cut some vegetables and they took it and stabbed someone. Utterly ridiculous.

Talking of that, if that law was in place (with regards to murder), if someone murdered me with my own gun, would i have technically committed suicide? ;)

berry for president

Seiously though, that's a wonderful post. That is exactly what happens. Turns out that in the states we are also responsible for any downloading done on our IP Address, regardless of whether we did it or not.

Last edited:
Personally I think the world has gone mad....greed greed & more greed...
The laws are written for the rich & powerful people...... the little man has no real rights in this world, they just keep sucking the money out of you.:lol:

Like renting a hotel room where you as the renter are responsible for others in your room, the same applies here. The internet service is in his name so he is held accountable for the actions of those using his connection. IMO it's not unfair how it came out. They did reduce his fine by half and he didn't do any jail time.
It may seems unfair to some of you but let some one use your internet connection and get nailed. See who's ass is going to be in the hot seat.

Like renting a hotel room where you as the renter are responsible for others in your room, the same applies here. The internet service is in his name so he is held accountable for the actions of those using his connection. IMO it's not unfair how it came out. They did reduce his fine by half and he didn't do any jail time.
It may seems unfair to some of you but let some one use your internet connection and get nailed. See who's ass is going to be in the hot seat.

Actually, my understanding is for public services, if you can prove it was an individual then it's that person who is accountable.

If he says he had no idea who did it then perhaps it should come down to him - but the ridiculous thing (I think) is that his wife *admitted under oath" it was her, yet she walked away scot free. That, as far as I'm concerned, is madness.

Back
Top Bottom