Dilemma!

Indigo

Fully Optimized
Hi guys, I need some honest feedback here. My internal guilt meter is keeping me from doing anything at the moment, but lets just put it out there.

One of my coworkers has departed, he's started a new job, and is no longer an employee here.

HOWEVER.

There is a new project that was started in a field office over the past few weeks, and he's still got to do some stuff to get that site online.

My question is this:

His desk is cleaned out - the only things left are the things that belong to the office. He doesn't even log into the workstation anymore. But because he's still got work to do on that satellite office, he's not "completely out" yet. When he comes in here to work on it remotely, he'll probably use a computer here.

I originally told myself I'd move into the space when he's completely gone - that is, project completed, or at least his part finished. My boss asked me if I wanted the space and I said yes, so it's ok for me to move into it.

What would you do?

Wait for him to be completely out, no outstanding projects?

Or would you move into the space given that he's not an official employee anymore?

I would feel horribad if I moved into the space now, but that's just my own feeling. What do you guys think?

I think it's fine to move in. He's gone. He doesn't need his desk and your boss is the owner of it. And he offered it to you.

I find it hard to believe your employer would allow him any access to your systems when he is no longer an employee.

I see no reason why you should wait. Take the desk.

Well, considering he's basically the architect of our systems, he was in the process of handing over the keys before he announced that he was resigning, so it's pretty critical that he still has access. In this case, he doesn't want to burn any bridges here, so he's trustworthy.

How well do you know the guy? Is he a personal friend? Are you trying to get in good with him to possibly make the same move?

While I haven't been in the exact same situation, I have been in a similar one. I believe that he would understand that he's on his way out and you're movin' on up, so to speak. If you know him, just ask how he would feel about it. If not, take it. Like others have said, you were offered the spot and he's no longer an official employee. Besides, what if you sit on it and it gets offered to someone else. It's a dog eat dog world...

well the guy doesn't work there anymore so you are free to take his desk. If he comes in at a latter date he can sit where he wants. You said he resigned so its not like he was fired and you've taken his desk already

If he technically doesn't work there any more than it should be ok to move your stuff to his old desk, if he needs a computer just let him use the one in your old workspace.

Back
Top Bottom