Dilemma...

As you may already know,i work as a systems admin at a local office,i earn about $8 an hour at the moment (AU).Now my boss wants a website done so i sent her a quote through my bussiness but she just said that because i'd be doing it during business hours,she'd only pay me $8 an hour for doing it.

Is it just me or am i getting used?

That's the life of a systems admin. You get paid your normal wages for anything you create for the company on company time. Now if you were a freelancer, then things would be different. Look on the bright side, they will see what kind of skillz you have and you could receive a raise as a result of this project down the road.

Hmm. I kinda agree with AR. But this is YOUR business, so you should set the price, not her, right? Unless maybe what she is asking you to do is part of your normal job duties.

Don't get too hungry for money. It seems to me that you could try charging her, but that would cause unnecessary tension between you and her. AR's got the best solution.

The hard part here is it sounds like you would be on Company time, Which gives her A Lot of pull. If it was not related to what you do at work and only offer such services while off the clock, it would be a bit different. At any rate you could negotiate on top of your normal wages on what you think you deserve or what the job is worth and possibly explain that to her. I say just do it as AR said, Arguing anything otherwise would likely cause tension at the workplace.

Back
Top Bottom