Digitizing my DVD movie collection

Celery

Golden Master
I took a 500 gig drive out of my old DVR and bought a removable drive caddy from Newegg. It's so I can digitize my DVD movie collection and put em on the 500 gig drive. I started with the keepers and then again for more keepers to add.

I got 415 movies in and it's full. I have over 1000 DVDs though so I thought, drives are pretty cheap right?

On Newegg looking at 1 TB drives I found something interesting. I found a Seagate 1 TB Constellation Enterprise HDD for $49. I have the very same drive as my main HDD but I paid $120 for it. It is solid.

This one is for $49 new but no longer supported by Seagate. Instead I got a year warranty from Newegg with option to extend. Knowing how well my drive worked I'm not worried. I've had my PC since 2012.

I have a few DVDs that won't let me rip so there's probably more after this.

Last edited:
LOL. I forgot to include the clip. Editing it doesn't give me that option so I made another post. :D

My new drive came today and I copied all the movies to it. It is really quiet. Sound like a keeper.

Now to add more movies later. :dance:

Are you taking exact copies of the DVD's or encoding them to smaller size? If it's the latter, check if where you live it is allowed to download material of stuff you already own. Some encodes are of much smaller size with no quality loss. Of course also check your internet bandwidth allowed quota, LOL.

They're all single files with subtitles hard coded. As long I keeps the DVDs I can archive em.

I'm talking about downloading them re-encoded by others, if that's allowed while owning the originals. Some 1080p BD movies are of ~3GB only with negligible loss of quality. That saves like +50% of the original size.

I heard that game' roms are allowed to be downloaded, for example, if you own the original games.

But this could be in the grey area. I better stop here.

In the US, it's a grey area. No movie company has tried testing the legal theories that people who own a copy of an item can copy that item for archival purposes. The librarian of congress makes exceptions to copyright law that allow things LIKE this, but not explicitly this.

Back
Top Bottom