Desperately seeking a job. Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help so far.. I am considering a bunch of stuff from what you all have told me. If you guys could help me, how does this resume look?

James H. Rowley II

address censored
Hurricane, WV 25526
phone censored

OBJECTIVE
To secure a career in the Information Technology field

EDUCATION

Hurricane High School
2005 – Present
3350 Teays Valley Rd
Hurricane, WV 25526
Major: Engineering and Technical Studies

Putnam Career and Technical Center
2007 - Present
Route 62, Box 640
Eleanor, WV 25070
Majors: Computer Systems Software and Application Support

SKILLS AND ABILITIES

Adept with Adobe Photoshop
Skilled with digital photography and image editing
Proficient with computer repair, maintenance, diagnostics, and upgrades
Types over 80 words per minute
Member of the nationally ranked Hurricane High School Marching Band
Member of the superior rating Hurricane High School Concert Band
Excellent personal skills, gets along with everyone

ACHIEVEMENTS

Received certification in Computer Maintenance from Putnam Career and Technical Center – 2008
Winner of Putnam Career and Technical Center Skills USA Computer Repair competition – 2008

COMMUNITY SERVICE

Volunteered at Broadmore Assisted Living in Teays Valley, WV

References available upon request

-------

I couldn't get the formatting correct with HTML codes, but I did make sure to use proper resume formatting.

For the record, in a previous post, I had stated that I am a high school graduate. Well, I haven't received my diploma yet. I will on June 2nd. But I know for sure I am graduating. I will be getting my other certification from the technical school on May 28.

I would censor the addresses of my schools, but there is no point as a google search will bring them up... Lol

Looks like a very professional resume to me FlightSimBoy. Well done. Looks like you have some significant abilities. I don't think it should take you long to get a job.

Your resume is very specific and geared towards technical abilities. You should definitely include prior work experience and skills other than computers.

Your resume is very specific and geared towards technical abilities. You should definitely include prior work experience and skills other than computers.

Say things like you can fulfill other positions should an employee be unexpectedly absent (if you are qualified of course). If you can fix other things, mention that. Say you do not mind doing janitorial work on occasion, unless it REALLY bothers you.

And say anything else you think a prospective employer might like to see on a resume.

What work experience? :D lol. If I had any, it would be there.

There's not much other skills I have.. I also have some skills in auto repair and maintenance, lawn equipment repair and maintenance, woodwork, carpentry, metal work (welding)... All of these trades were passed on my my father. I also have quite a bit of knowledge in the geriatrics field (care for elderly) because my mom was an LPN in that field for 30 years.

Computers I have learned all on my own pretty much. My teacher at the technical school? I actually taught him a thing or two when it comes to computers, especially modern ones.. He is still kinda stuck in the 90s.

Could any of these skills help me? I really don't think I have enough knowledge in any of them to get me past this.

If you have experience with autos, maybe try a car garage, walmart, home depot? Anywhere really. Have you tried at a doctor's office where they have to have their computers working all of the time? You could sell your computer and start a neighborhood computer repair business maybe? It's a win or lose kind of thing, so be careful. But even if it doesn't bring in a whole lot, maybe $50-75 a month. Which in your case would be alot. :D Try getting a job as a waiter. They don't pay super well, but good enough. Ever thought of grocery stores? These are just some ideas. I do hope everything turns out well FlightSimBoy.

Back
Top Bottom