Depression Level: Emo

iPwn

..m.0,0.m..,
Apple - MacBook Pro Family - It

So I watched this video on the new MacBook Pro. About 2 minutes into it, I had the sudden urge to stab myself with a blunt object. Why? Not because Macs are inferior or PC this, Mac that... simply because Apple's marketing technique exposes the absolute de-evolution of the consumer's frontal lobes.

Any computer technician worth their salt was hopefully disgusted just the same at the advert as I. I have no doubts that the machine itself got more than a new monitor/GPU, and will run extremely well (I actually ordered one for our owners son, so I'll get to test in about a week), but the advertising is full of claims that are not backed by any evidence. I first noticed it with the iPad 3 adverts, where nothing was said about the new quad-core processor or camera, anything really. Nothing but a new "Retina Display" with a picture of a flower. People. Went. Nuts. I needed to order one for our App Development Programmers and all of our normal supply chains were 4-6 weeks back-ordered.

Well done Apple, you have successfully created advertisements aimed at the least common denominator, and found that it's also the most common denominator.

On the plus side... My IQ goes up every single day! This time next year I should be at 3,753,213 IQ!

*only makes sense if you know how the IQ scale works; and if you're reading this before laughing, thanks for the boost! ;)

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/#macbookproAny computer technician worth their salt was hopefully disgusted just the same at the advert as I. I have no doubts that the machine itself got more than a new monitor/GPU, and will run extremely well (I actually ordered one for our owners son, so I'll get to test in about a week), but the advertising is full of claims that are not backed by any evidence.

If you're going to make that type of accusation, you better back it up with some evidence. Care to provide some examples?

Although, gotta admit, it does look impressive...

Just so damn expensive, key let down of Macs.

First thing I'd do is dual-boot it with Windows 7.

It really does. I was debating if I should use part of my student loan to purchase this, but then I looked at the price and it was over $2,000. That is way too much for me.

If you're going to make that type of accusation, you better back it up with some evidence. Care to provide some examples?

Examples of what? I didn't say anything degrading about the machine... only the advert.

My point about their claims being baseless was that the video itself had a lot of "New design this, faster that", but it completely lacked any technical specs. At one point they show all the different chips inside, but all you see is a square with Nvidia written on it. That's the whole point right there. Apple's marketing is terrible at advertising anything about how good something actually is. The only thing they market, is unsupported claims about it being better. In a Cartel style economic advantage, you have two possible scenarios. 1. Customers know all the details, or 2. They know nothing. Back in the 90's, it seemed that people were more in tune with how fast the chip was or how much RAM it had, what it could run. That advert proves that our consumer base is much like cows. If you put food in front of a cow, it eats. Make it look like food and it must be food.
I'm not singling out Apple consumers either. People nowadays purchase things based on looks, commercials and what they're uneducated friends think. PC and Apple alike.

Eh, it's not like they're hiding the specs from you. Computer advertising is intended for the general consumer who knows very little about hardware. People who do have in-depth knowledge of it can just go to apple's website and look at the full specs. Saying the model numbers of chips and giving detailed specs only serves to alienate consumers, who will then end up looking for something less confusing. Given that apple products seem to be designed to be as user-friendly as possible, that's probably not the smartest thing for them to do.

wow, i wouldn't go that far by saying I wanted to stab myslef :/ I think it was just dull and boring to be honest.

My point about their claims being baseless was that the video itself had a lot of "New design this, faster that", but it completely lacked any technical specs.

It's not supposed to. It's a video.

At one point they show all the different chips inside, but all you see is a square with Nvidia written on it. That's the whole point right there. Apple's marketing is terrible at advertising anything about how good something actually is.

Apple - MacBook Pro with Retina display - Technical Specifications

The only thing they market, is unsupported claims about it being better. In a Cartel style economic advantage, you have two possible scenarios. 1. Customers know all the details, or 2. They know nothing. Back in the 90's, it seemed that people were more in tune with how fast the chip was or how much RAM it had, what it could run. That advert proves that our consumer base is much like cows. If you put food in front of a cow, it eats. Make it look like food and it must be food.
I'm not singling out Apple consumers either. People nowadays purchase things based on looks, commercials and what they're uneducated friends think. PC and Apple alike.

Apple - MacBook Pro with Retina display - Performance

The video is on their website. You're more than feel to explore and find the technical details, if you wish. Your criticism doesn't make sense to be honest, and I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Back
Top Bottom